Gulley prepares to return from ankle sprain in Texas Bowl

Ziniu Chen Staff | Photographer

Prince-Tyson Gulley will return from a two-game absence when Syracuse takes on Minnesota in the Texas Bowl. Gulley missed SU's last two games of the regular season with an ankle sprain.

After missing the last two games of the season with an ankle sprain, Syracuse running back Prince-Tyson Gulley is preparing for his return against Minnesota in the Texas Bowl.

“It’s good,” Gulley said. “I’m ready to go.”

Gulley, who has 440 rushing yards and four rushing touchdowns on the season, will be Syracuse’s second option out of the backfield against the Golden Gophers behind Jerome Smith. But with Smith announcing he’ll head to the NFL and Gulley expected to return next year as a fifth-year senior with a medical hardship waiver, it’s also likely his last game as the No. 2 back.

In his way is a stout Minnesota defensive line that Gulley praised for its strength and energy. Still, Gulley said he isn’t anxious about returning after the injury.

“It’s just like any other thing. We want to play football real bad,” Gulley said. “We’re hyped about playing, and that’s all it is.”

He’ll look to replicate a career performance in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl last December.

Gulley rushed for 213 yards and two touchdowns on 26 carries in the Orange’s 38-14 win over West Virginia in the bowl. He also caught five passes for 56 yards and a touchdown.

This year, he hopes SU can claim its third bowl win in four years.

“I’m just trying to play,” Gulley said. “MVP; if it happens, it happens. It doesn’t matter.”