Ducks

Duck: Meredith Newman

Asst. Copy/ Asst. News Editor | Fall 2012; Asst. News Editor | Spring 2013; News Editor | Fall 2013

Andy Casadonte | Art Director

I’ve been known for knowing people’s secrets, but I have a final one of my own: I’ve always come to house for any D.O. function at least a half an hour early. The reason is not because I’m punctual AF. The reason is that I truly love being here. I love reading what’s on the wall, I love the people, I love the laughs and I even love the weird smells.

So thank you to every source, writer, in-house staff member and food delivery guy for making this past year so memorable. 

Mom, Dad and Adam

Thanks for being so supportive of my time at The D.O. and pursuing a career in journalism. Thanks for caring more about the stories of my time in-house rather than the stories that were published in the paper.

Liz

Thank you for bringing me into this crazy world. Whether it was through girl talk, cookies or alcohol, you’ve always been there for me. Thanks for being the big sister I’ve always wanted. 

Dara and Becca

I never thought I would live in a reality were I would be in an ongoing email chain about color pants with you two. Your mentorship and friendship has meant so much. 

Mark and Laurence

Thanks for taking a chance on me. You taught me a lot in two semesters. 

Meghin

I’ve looked up to you ever since I first stepped into the newsroom a year and a half ago. And when I faced a hard situation I always thought: “What would Meghin do?”

Anna

You brought the section to new heights. And I just want you to remember one thing: You is kind, you is smart, you is the next Sheryl Sandberg.

Avery

I’m pretty sure you swallow makeup or something, because it explains why you’re so beautiful on the inside and outside. And you’ll always be my D.O. girl crush.

CDB

I can’t wait to see you. And I can’t wait to hear about your escapades with European men.

Joe

I can’t wait to see what you have in store for Pulp, because I know you’re going to absolutely kill it.

Kristin

You’ve been my partner-in-crime this semester. You always got me, and I love ya for that. And I will most definitely be seeing you at Chuck’s…

Klinger

I feel like I’m the Velma to your Shaggy. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for you, but just don’t eat too many Scooby Snacks boo. 

Trevor

I’m going to miss playing catch with you in the hallways with weird objects. I can’t wait to see the great stories you write for next semester. 

Phil

You’re a renaissance man — you’re a nice guy, great reporter and a pasta sauce expert. Grandma Dora did good. 

Jesse

You’re obviously talented, but I love how excited you are all the time in-house. Don’t lose that. And our tradition of shot gunning a beer will always be a thing.

Bailey

I’m always going to admire how you never ask permission, but instead forgiveness. You push yourself and the section, no matter the obstacles that may come in the way. And that’s commitment. 

WILSOOOOOOONNNNN

You killed it as SE this semester. You helped bring a fun and lighthearted spirit to the section. Thanks for letting me write a story about a “football player.” And I’m pretty sure you’re the only one who understands my love for Dr. Pepper. 

Sam

Meshuggeneh — you’re an incredible photographer, and I know you’re going to be an incredible photo editor. Show us things we’ve never seen before.

Chase

You’re that guy who told me I resembled a cow. But you’re also that guy that brought Photo back while still pushing the section forward. Continue with that mentality with the paper as a whole. And by the way, I’m so proud of you.

Lindsay and Beth

You both are some bad a** bitches. Can’t wait for our wine night dates.

Michelle

F*ck Michigan.

Luke

You’re one of the most talented people at The D.O. And if you’re not married by the time you’re 35, I call dibs.

Ankur

Our high-fives are legendary, but they’re not as legendary as your time here at The D.O. I hope you realize the effect you’ve had on this place. I know we always talk about moving the rock. But Patankar, you f*cking threw it.

Lizzie

One of the best things about this semester was becoming close with you. I hope you realize that you carried the team this semester. You better remember the damn huddle, because your work was genius.

Nicki

I’m pretty sure you’re going to be the first journalist to become a saint. Whenever you walk into the newsroom, my day is instantly better.

Jocelyn

I’m so glad you became part of the news team! Your yoga moves on the floor calmed me down.

Maggie

Maggz, you were my saving grace this semester. Your transition into an assistant was seamless — because you were always destined to be one. I’m so proud of you. I’m expecting you to interact with hot French men. And to take photos of them.

Alfred

I’m going to miss you a lot news ninja. You brought so much energy to the news section. I’m sad to see you leave your tabloid-loving newsy days, but I’m excited to see you as a feature creature.

Annie

Nugget I’m so proud of you. I’m so excited for you to make the section your own. Don’t be afraid to take risks and make mistakes. I’m always here if you need me, but you’re much stronger than you think.

Maddy

You’re my chub-rub señorita and a ray of optimism. You helped me get through a lot of the tough times. You always see the best of every situation, and your excitement for journalism is infectious.

Casey

We’ve been together since day one, kid. In the past year, you’ve been put through the ringer, and in every situation, you’ve killed it. Continue to move outside of your comfort zone. And just remember that I’ll always have your back.

Seegz

I’m pretty sure you were put on this planet to be a journalist, and I’m also pretty sure you’re 35 percent part robot. You’ve been my rock this semester. You make me want to be better, and I can’t thank you enough for that.

Jess

Even though you were in a different hemisphere, you were still able to keep me sane. You’ve been my confidant, my harshest editor and therapist. I can’t wait for us to be journalism nerds together again.

Marwa

I owe everything to you. You saw something in a loud Midwestern girl that she didn’t see in herself. You’ve been my mentor, my editor and now you’re one of my closest friends. If I did anything right in this job, it’s because you taught me how to do it.   

Becca, Kasey, Lindsey, Monica, Allie, Joey, Corey

Like The D.O., being placed on Boland 6 freshman year was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. I can’t thank you all enough for your love and support, and dealing with me when I was “Helen Hag.” Thanks for being my soul mates.