Ducks

Duck: Kristin Ross

Asst. Copy Editor | Spring 2012; Asst. Feature Editor | Spring 2013; Feature Editor | Fall 2013

Andy Casadonte | Art Director

If I was iffy about working at The Daily Orange before, all doubts vanished when I learned an editor’s written farewell to the paper is called a “duck” — my favorite animal. I was destined to work here.

I’m on staff of First Year Players, a tap dancer in DanceWorks, a Global Ambassador for the SUAbroad London Program and a founding sister of Delta Phi Epsilon. Still, I credit The D.O. with a large chunk of college memories. I mean, I interviewed Justin Timberlake because of this place.

This job is equally rewarding and stressful, and completely worth it. No regrets. I’ve learned a textbook on the do’s and don’ts of journalism in this house. I hope I returned the favor to someone along the way.

Kathleen Ronayne: Thanks for giving me the kick I needed to step foot into this house.

Dara/Debbie: I interviewed for news and you hired me in Pulp. Best decision you ever made.

Mark/Laurence: Thanks for creating The D.O. Skype account to interview me in London, even though my wifi was awful and I’m convinced you never heard a thing I said.

Casey: Thanks for being more than just my boss. Late night talks with you were easily highlights of this semester. Also that one time Starbucks delivered to the house…

Maddy: Beginning and ending this journey together. Thanks for believing in me to run Pulp. And your daily snapchats.

Meredith: You’re right. I don’t get sentimental about anything. But I shed a couple of tears while writing this duck. It felt really weird. I couldn’t have done this semester without you. Your first Chuck’s pitcher is on me.

Maggie: You stepped up to be assistant like a champ. I can’t wait to creep on your abroad pictures.

Alfred: You ran for your first siren and came back panting, pissed it got away. Keep that dedication in Pulp. And please, blast some rap music.

Annie: Call me crazy, but you’ll make a great news editor.

Jocelyn: You’re so freakin’ adorable and bring much needed sunshine to news.

Dylan: Yo, dawg. Your dedication for finding and accurately reporting on the truth goes beyond most D.O. alums. Just don’t forget to breathe.

Rachael/Marwa: Every time either of you visited the house, my day instantly got better. This place wasn’t the same without you.

Bouv: Hellboys for life, blisters and all.

Liz: We shared a Saran Wrap and Aloe moment I’ll never forget. Thanks for seeing the struggle through my smile this semester. I owe you a beer. Or a 40 oz. steak.

Anna: You receive little credit for everything (and everyone) you put up with. I’m beyond proud of you. Let’s hang out next semester. I’ll miss you otherwise.

David: Sports: the one consistently solid section. You’re either ridiculously talented or have a never-ending supply of Felix Felicis. Thanks for letting me write a couple of sports stories. Still waiting for your Pulp byline.

Trevor: You should work on your BS during Sunday Meeting.

Stephen: I’m so, so happy you came back. And your roommates. Craziest but nicest group of guys I know.

Phil: Sorry for girls night.

Jesse: You’re the goofiest kid but seriously talented. I’m sad I won’t be here to watch you kill it as assistant.

Klinger: I miss ya, kid. Text me whenever you’re visiting and want to hang.

Chase: I’m awful at photo requests, but “we figured it out” somehow.

Sam: Your hugs have healing powers. I’m a little sad we won’t work together as head eds, but I cannot WAIT to see you absolutely kill it.

Spencer: You don’t get a lot of credit, but you really are a great photog. and always make me laugh.

Luke: Running into you always makes my day instantly better.

Lizzie: I love you so so much. I’ll miss dancing with you at 2 a.m. You really do belong in Pulp.

Lindsay: Remember when Lizzie and I FaceTimed you in the library?

Mara/Chloe/Clare: Three of the cutest freshmen. I adore you all. Thanks for saying designing Pulp is your favorite…I don’t care if you’re lying. I’m always here if you need anything, even a hug.

Riley: I’m still here for you, too. Please never forget that.

Ankur: It’ll be a new era without you in the house. I fear for the amount of candy that will get stuck in the vending machines.

Beth: I spent more time with your roommates than you did this semester. Missed ya, sassy pants.

Cheryl: I MISS YOU.

Stephanie Lin: The Lorax will forever remind me of you.

Samar: You don’t have a mean bone in your body. It’s been a blessing to work with you.

Michelle: #SocialMediaQueen #KilledIt

Andy: Everyone knows you’re insanely talented, but you yourself are one special person besides that. Thanks for choosing to work in the Pulp office. Your smile helped me get through many stressful nights.

Allie Caren: “I’m all about you.” You brought me cake last year during one of the saddest points of my life. You’re an incredible friend and forever my long lost twin.

Danielle: Delta Omega lives on.

Colleen: To me, you’re still a part of Pulp — the part I’ll always remember.

Erik: Future EIC of Rolling Stone. Now it’s on record that I said it first.

KatKim: You took a newsy and created a full-blooded feature creature. THANK YOU. I learned so, so much from you.

Avery/Chelsea: How I survived this semester without you both, I have no idea. You two mean so much to me. I can’t wait to be actual friends outside of these walls.

Joe/Katie/Jessica/Lara: You all are the reason why I loved this semester. We became a family, and I can’t thank you enough. I hope I was an OK boss. Jessica: Hiring you was the first big decision I made this semester, and easily the best. Lara: You’re like my mini-me, and I am totally OK with that. Keep Pulp in line next semester. Katie: Finding you was somewhat of a miracle, and you’ve been a trooper. I’m obsessed with you. Joe: I wouldn’t want to leave this place to anyone else. You’ve been my right hand man. Keep it the sweet stuff in the middle, but make it your own. I’m here whenever you need help.

Professors (and a special shout out to Bob Lloyd, as promised): Thanks for all of the assignment extensions. I deserved every irritated look and probably more.

Beehive: My biggest regret of college is not spending enough time with you. This group is made up of incredible people, and I’m lucky to be included. Spring Break 2014 in Puerto Rico can’t come soon enough.

Marlee, Steph, Kelsey, Brittany, Meghan: I’m the worst roommate but somehow wound up with the best. I can’t wait to be a normal college student and live out the year with you.

Dad/Mom/Lee: I don’t say it enough, but I really am thankful for everything. I’m luckier than most. I hope you’re proud of what I’ve accomplished at the paper. It certainly hasn’t been easy, and often took priority over school work, but I put my heart into it.

Bobby: It’s kind of awesome having my brother as my best friend. I can’t wait for you to finally visit me! Love you.

Bertelson family: I wouldn’t be here without your help. It’s just that simple. Thank you, thank you, thank you.