Weekender

Whodunnit: Mock murder mystery teaches students to decipher forensic evidence

Crime buffs in search of a thrill won’t need to play a game of Clue or wait to catch the next episode of “CSI” this weekend, because forensics and crime scene investigations are coming to campus.

This Thursday, the Forensic Science Graduate Student Organization is hosting its annual Murder 201 event at 8 p.m. in the Life Sciences Complex, room 201. The organization takes a stab at creating and solving a mock crime, and invites all students to attend and help catch the killer. The event is free and perfect for students on a budget looking for something interesting to take part in this weekend.

The murder mystery has been happening since 2010 and has a dynamic setup for the night’s events. Students will pass through three different stations to essentially solve a mock crime.

“[In the first room], we will provide participants with a background story, then they will pass through stations giving them a quick overview of a few different areas of forensic science,” said Riley Lochner, the event coordinator and graduate student in the College of Arts and Sciences.

First, students will learn basic information about DNA analysis, forensic pathology and impression evidence, bloodstain pattern analysis and fingerprinting. With this knowledge, participants will then move on to the next room and apply what they have learned to a crime scene. Here, students will examine the victim and the crime scene, and attempt to answer the who, what, when and how.

The crime scene will be brought to life with a real model and theatrical makeup that simulates an actual crime. The victim’s body will be covered in fake cuts and blood to make the scene feel like a real-life experience.

At the final stop, students will interview four suspects to solve the crime. And after passing through all three rooms, the students will learn the truth.

“There will be a slideshow of what actually happened, and it will explain the purpose of the program,” Lochner said. “Students will be able to apply the knowledge they learned in each of the rooms when they find out the details.”

As an added bonus, all participants are welcome to free refreshments and a goody bag. The event is intended to give students insight into the real world of forensics and is a unique experience for students to do some hands-on learning — something not available in a game of Clue.