Editorial

Vandalism to LGBT Resource Center signs represents disregard for trans* community

The Syracuse University LGBT Resource Center’s attempt to raise awareness about trans* lives was inconsiderately and shamefully vandalized last Friday.

The center situated lawn signs on the grassy knoll between the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and the Schine Student Center. The signs read “Trans* Lives Matter” and are in honor of Trans* Remembrance Day, which takes place Wednesday to remember those who lost their lives because of their trans* identity. Trans* encompasses those who identify as transgender, transsexual, gender nonconforming, genderqueer and gender fluid.

On Friday, the signs were intentionally vandalized. They were tossed, spit and stepped on, their metal was bent and several were stolen. The remaining signs were repaired and set back up in the grass to continue displaying the message that trans* lives matter.

This symbolic act of violence is an unnecessary and disappointing act from members of the Syracuse community. Though the signs are just physical objects, the vandalism to them reflects a greater issue of disregard for the trans* community.

This recent destruction, regardless of intent, should not be reflective of the university as a whole.

The SU administration sent a message to the student body to enforce that this behavior is not tolerated at SU, a university that upholds values of inclusion and acceptance. This is an admirable act.

These values have and should remain an integral part of the campus, despite this destructive act.

The university and LGBT Resource Center have already made strides in making campus more inclusive for various backgrounds and identities. SU has been nationally recognized for these efforts. The university earned the No. 5 ranking in Unigo.com’s “Top 10 Colleges Supporting LGBT Communities.” SU is also one of 28 universities across the country to offer an LGBT minor, proving it educates students about the community.

Recently, a Department of Public Safety report was filed to investigate who committed the act. Regardless of whether a suspect is identified, this incident should serve as an opportunity for students to become more aware of the trans* community and its presence on the Hill.

Education and awareness can counter acts like this. Although the damaging message cannot be erased, similar events can be prevented.