Spice Rack

Relish the moment: Brooklyn Pickle deli serves up delicious, inexpensive sandwiches

Joshua Chang | Staff Photographer

Brooklyn Pickle offers many varieties of sandwiches including this Brooklyn Pickle special made with rye bread, Thousand Island dressing, pastrami, corned beef, Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato and onions. The deli also sells half-sour and New York-style pickles.

I love pickles. It’s the tang of the vinegar and the sound of the crunch when biting into one that makes them an enjoyable side to any sandwich. I usually save them until the end of my meal to savor the experience. And when it comes to pickles, Brooklyn Pickle Sandwiches & Subs didn’t disappoint.

The family-run Brooklyn Pickle, hidden off of Erie Boulevard at 2222 Burnet Ave., has been around since 1975 and features a huge selection of food. It has overstuffed deli sandwiches, gigantic subs, homemade soups and, of course, the best pickle you can find in the Salt City. It’s a great place for lunch with a friend. But make sure you come hungry.

I felt obligated to order the deli’s classic sandwich: the Brooklyn Pickle special. To create my meal, an employee smeared rye bread with Thousand Island dressing and topped it with pastrami, corned beef, Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato and onions. As I watched the sandwich travel down the assembly line, the pile of meat and vegetables grew. I could not believe how much food I was receiving for just $4.65.

My mouth was watering as I watched.

The half-size portion was about the size of a normal sandwich you might make at home and contained more meat than average. Before wrapping up the sandwich, an employee scooped out some sliced pickles, which could be used as a topping or as a side.

As I took my first bite, I realized why Post-Standard readers voted this deli as having the best sandwich in Syracuse. The tender and juicy meats complemented each other while the veggies gave the sandwich a needed freshness. The best addition, though, was the tangy and creamy dressing spread, which had soaked into the soft rye bread.

To accompany my sandwich, I picked up a bag of sea salt “Dirty” Potato Chips — my favorite kind. Fried in peanut oil, these gluten-free, all-natural chips have the flavor of greasy potato chips, but are thickly sliced and have a great crunch. Seasoned well, the sea salt chips are just the fix. Balancing the savory flavor of my sandwich with the tangy taste of the pickle, these chips were a great addition to the meal.

Last but not least was the pickle. Brooklyn Pickle features two types: a sweet, kosher, deli-style pickle and — my favorite — a half-sour. Sliced pieces are served alongside every sandwich. Customers are also able to purchase single, whole pickles to enjoy for just $1.10.

The pickles tasted similar to the ones you can buy out of the barrels on the Lower East Side of New York City. Large and juicy, the pickles were big enough to share with a friend.

The restaurant looked like a classic deli, with a back room featuring booths along the walls, chairs and tables along the window and high tables with stools filling in the center. Above, a Brooklyn Bridge neon sign glows in an orange hue while the walls include murals of New York City scenes, like yellow taxis on a busy street. There is also a corner of the store that is painted to look like you are crossing the Brooklyn Bridge.

But the best part of the experience was the low cost. My entire meal – along with a friend’s half sandwich – only cost $17 and came with enough food for leftovers. Though it’s a bit of a ride from campus, Brooklyn Pickle’s website allows you to place online orders for pick up. Next time I’m running errands on Erie Boulevard and craving a good meal, Brooklyn Pickle will be my go-to option.