Splice

Old-school shenanigans: Latest ‘Jackass’ film pushes boundaries with uncomfortable situational humor

Illustration by Andy Casadonte | At Director

“Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa” is a one-of-a-kind comedy with a lot of character.

In the most recent installment of the “Jackass” hidden camera franchise, Johnny Knoxville is disguised as 86-year-old Irving Zisman, a newly widowed (and happily so) grandpa who has the maturity level of a teenage boy. He is left with the responsibility of taking care of his grandson Billy (Jackson Nicoll), which involves a road trip across the country to see Billy’s dead-beat father after his mother gets sent back to jail for drug use.

As the two hit the road, it becomes clear that one of grandpa’s favorite pastimes is stirring up trouble — something he is very good at.

In a way, the movie examines what Americans are like for better or for worse, demonstrating how they handle the most shocking of situations. Grandpa does so many appallingly funny acts — from giving his grandson a six-pack of beer for breakfast to entering him into a girl’s beauty pageant — and the reactions on strangers’ faces are priceless.

Instead of a collection of random skits as in other “Jackass” productions, Knoxville and Nicoll are the same characters throughout the entire film. In fact, they do such a good job staying in character that at times you forget the strangers’ reactions are real. This is partly due to director Jeff Termaine, who aptly executes a script full of risky approaches to public gags.

The ability to obtain real-life reactions deserves some respect. It’s those awkward moments that make this movie stand out from other comedies currently in theaters.

The quality of the filming is nothing special, though, because the scenes are taped on the go and are not edited to the same extent most major Hollywood blockbusters are. But that isn’t any different from every other “Jackass” movie, so it isn’t surprising.

Knoxville’s performance is typically comical and, as for Nicoll, he might be young, but by the end of the movie, he develops his character to be just as clever and funny as his counterpart. Nicoll even ends up receiving his own laughs and bizarre looks from those he comes across in the film.

While there are many funny parts, not all scenes are that well-received, as is typical of any movie. But in this case, some of the scenes were a little overdone. This is especially evident in some instances where grandpa hits on women at least 40 years younger than him. The actors have so much fun pranking those who dared pass by in the making, though, that this slight downfall in the comedy can easily be overlooked.

Anyone who is a fan of Knoxville or the other “Jackass” films will enjoy this movie. And those looking for a few extra laughs should stay for the credits to watch Knoxville hilariously reveal himself to the people he approaches in the film.

It is fun to see him dressed up years beyond his age, and he does a great job playing the part. If you didn’t know any better, you would think that Knoxville really is an 86-year-old grandfather.