Johnson, Roberson combine to replace Grant’s minutes

Despite Syracuse’s busy frontcourt, freshmen B.J. Johnson and Tyler Roberson were already expected to receive some notable minutes.

But with sophomore Jerami Grant relegated to street clothes on the sideline for a reason head coach Jim Boeheim opted not to disclose, Johnson and Roberson were thrown into an even bigger role in their college debuts.

But Johnson made one mistake that Boeheim didn’t forget about during his postgame press conference.

“I don’t think, in Pennsylvania, they have those markings on the court,” Boeheim said, referring to out-of-bounds lines. “You have to stay in there. I’m not sure he quite has got that. But I think he does now.”

Aside from stepping out of bounds in the process of making a 3-pointer, Johnson filled in admirably for Grant in No. 8 Syracuse’s (1-0) season opener — an 82-60 win over Cornell (0-1). Boeheim said Grant will play in SU’s game against Fordham on Tuesday.

Johnson scored seven points in 12 minutes. Roberson, in 14 minutes on the floor, scored just four points but made his presence felt on defense and on the boards. Roberson hit a pair of jumpers — one in each half.

At the end of the first half, Roberson was part of a defensive effort in the key to thwart a last-second shot attempt by Cornell’s Deion Giddens.

Collectively, the two freshmen shot 5-of-11 from the floor.

“I wasn’t hitting shots early,” Johnson said, “but I think I played solid defense and that kept me on the floor.”

Midway through the first half, the Orange turned on its full-court press. Cornell point guard Robert Hatter eluded SU and snuck his way downcourt. He hauled in a long pass and elevated to finish at the rim, but Johnson retreated in time to record one of his two blocks on the night.

Not long after, Johnson added a bucket from the inside to place the Orange ahead by a point. Late in the game, he found his shooting stroke, connecting on a step-back jumper and a 3.

“I thought, off the bench, they gave us a little bit of a spark,” SU point guard Tyler Ennis said. “I think we’re going to need them throughout the season, so everybody’s got to keep their confidence up and move onto the next game.”