Letter to the Editor

Humane Society supports Trap-Neuter-Return as effective strategy to cat overpopulation in city of Syracuse

While predation by outdoor cats on birds is a real and legitimate concern, there is nothing to be gained by suggesting ineffective, inhumane and costly population control strategies, such as feeding bans and euthanasia (Callaghan: Solutions should soon be reached to ease feral cat issue facing city of Syracuse, Nov.12). This approach addresses too few cats, often targets household pets and has little impact on welfare, environmental or public health issues. It is also never likely to receive widespread social sanction.

The Humane Society of the United States supports Trap-Neuter-Return, a strategy that improves the health of feral cats and the community at large through spay/neuter surgeries and rabies vaccinations. Over time, this approach, carried out through the participation of legions of dedicated volunteers, reduces or eliminates the number of cats and nuisance behaviors associated with unsterilized animals.

In addition to TNR, pet cats must be spayed or neutered before they reproduce, are kept indoors or safely confined to their property, provided with identifiable safety collars and searched for immediately if they go missing. These actions will prevent them from becoming part of the homeless cat population.

Contrary to Callaghan’s column, many municipalities are moving away from providing cat control services — leaving this difficult task to local nonprofits and animal rescue groups. The Animal Alliance of Greater Syracuse, the Syracuse Animal Rights Organization and the CNY Cat Coalition have been working to establish effective and humane solutions to cat overpopulation at Syracuse University and throughout Syracuse. Cat and bird advocates, as well as those who advocate for both, all share a common goal: to reduce the number of outdoor cats.

Working together with these groups and others, Syracuse can find humane, long-term solutions which will improve the quality of life for everyone.

Brian Shapiro
New York State Director
Humane Society