Cross Country

Fox helps bring Syracuse into national spotlight

Syracuse has made a name for itself in the Atlantic Coast Conference under head coach Chris Fox. For the three-time Big East championship team — all three won under the coaching of Fox — this year’s success was expected. Fox has led both SU cross-country and track and field teams to record-breaking finishes since 2005.

Fox began his running career as a student-athlete at Auburn University. While running at Auburn, Fox set several school records including the 5,000-meter run record of 13:34.14. Professionally, Fox ran for seven years as a member of the Nike-Athletics West team.

Following his Nike career, Fox also competed nationally and at world levels with Brooks Sports for three years. After finishing his professional career, Fox began to pursue coaching for track and field and cross-country. He coached for North Carolina, George Washington and his alma mater before bringing his coaching talents to Syracuse.

“You do what you know best and this is what I know best,” Fox said.

Fox’s coaching days at Syracuse began in 2005 and have brought many great accomplishments.

“He wants to be successful and he has done a really good job at it by getting the most out of these kids,” said assistant coach Adam Smith.

Fox’s willingness to strive for success has shown in the past seven seasons. In 2009, Fox brought the Orange men’s team, who were previously unranked, to a No. 11 national ranking. The Orange won its first Big East championship in school history later that season. Fast forward three years later and the Orange has won three out of four Big East championships and three consecutive NCAA regional championships.

Fox led the women’s team to its first NCAA regional championship title in 2009 as well as its first NCAA championship title in 2008.

After seven seasons in the Big East, transitioning into the ACC was no issue for Fox and the Orange. In this season, the men’s team has placed first overall in the conference championships as well as placing first this past weekend in the NCAA regionals. The team has become more and more successful during the years through Fox.

“He really knows how to help us become really strong runners,” Brianna Nerud said, “not just in one year but over the course of our college career.”