Eskridge, Gulley miss 2nd half with injuries

COLLEGE PARK, Md. — Syracuse safety Durell Eskridge and running back Prince-Tyson Gulley missed the second half of Syracuse’s (5-4, 3-2 Atlantic Coast) 20-3 win over Maryland (5-4, 1-4) on Saturday with injuries.

Eskridge suffered an upper-body injury that cornerback Julian Whigham said was unrelated to the broken right ring finger that forced him to play in a cast for half of this season.

Gulley sprained his ankle and was listed as questionable at halftime, but did not return.

Eskridge recorded a momentum-shifting interception midway through the second quarter that helped spark the Orange defense to four straight turnovers. He finished the game with five tackles, although it was unclear when he was injured.

“I know it wasn’t his finger,” Whigham said. “I don’t know exactly what it is, but I know it wasn’t his finger.”

Whigham said the secondary took a “next guy in” approach in Eskridge’s absence.

Darius Kelly and Ritchy Desir filled in for Eskridge at the strong safety position while free safety Jeremi Wilkes was also used in the “star position” of SU’s Okie package, which features five defensive backs.

“We’ve just got to evaluate and see where he is at this point,” defensive backs coach Fred Reed said of Eskridge. “He’s a tough kid. We’ll see how it all transpires.”

Gulley ran the ball only once for 3 yards on SU’s first possession and was not targeted by quarterback Terrel Hunt. Running back George Morris II said Gulley was not hurt at all in practice this week. Morris didn’t know when the injury occurred.

Morris filled in strongly for Gulley. He made his return from an upper-body injury that sidelined him for three weeks and carried the ball seven times for 50 yards.

“I felt bad for Tyson,” SU head coach Scott Shafer said. “He’ll be back. He’ll be okay. He’ll be ready to go soon.”