Spice Rack

Bottomless bliss: Asian cuisine restaurant delivers buffet-style meals directly to the table

Keegan Barber | Staff Photographer

Firudo Asian Food and Bar serves a number desserts, including banana tempura, served with a choice of three ice creams.

Decorated like an elegant New York City bar, it is evident that Firudo Asian Food & Bar caters to a specific experience. Even on a Friday afternoon, this place was ready to throw down like it was a Saturday night.

A red glow circulates above the circular bar, drawing customers into the restaurant. Stringed crystal beads shimmer as they dangle in rows, separating the dining area into different sections. Along the far wall — behind the bar — flashing colored lights emphasize a bubble display that catches your eye when you first walk in. Hues of pink, green and blue lights flash, emphasizing the beat of the traditional Asian music.

Previously the location for Dougherty’s Masquerade, Firudo opened in October and offers a twist on the classic Asian buffet. Instead of long rows of precooked dishes, the all-you-can-eat option is brought to your table by the wait staff.

Each dish is made to order, allowing for a more personal meal with a fresher taste. The menu consists of sashimi, sushi, maki and handrolls, along with kitchen items like tempura, teriyaki and an array of Chinese food dishes such as sesame chicken. And although the price might seem a little steep — $16.95 for lunch and $26.95 for dinner — the quality of the food and the great service allow you to get your money’s worth.

Though typical dishes like tempura chicken tasted great with delicious flaky and tender elements, the quality of the sashimi and sushi fish was the most impressive. The tuna was a rich pink while the salmon’s coral color was accented with stripes.

Each piece of fish was about half an inch thick and four inches wide. It was clear that the cut of fish was a high grade, given its smooth texture and very fresh taste. A dab of wasabi, which seemed a little spicier than normal, enriched the flavor of each type of fish. Additionally, the sticky beds of rice included with the tuna sushi helped to balance the flavors.

Since it is included in the meal, be sure to live a little and order dessert. Ice cream flavors including green tea, red bean and classic vanilla complement the banana and Oreo tempura dishes well. Served with a delicate chocolate sauce and whipped cream, the crunchy, lightly-fried bananas melt in your mouth as the Oreos ooze chocolaty-goodness. Those who are a bit more health conscious can opt for an assortment of fruit.

A helpful and attentive wait staff enhanced the dining experience. Taking the time to fully explain the menu, the waitresses were thorough and checked in often. That being said, it would have been helpful if they were more willing to share their personal favorite items from the menu, instead of assuring that all items on the menu were delicious.

Other great deals at Firudo include half price maki and hand rolls during lunch and two-for-$5 mixed drinks, along with happy hour from 4-7 p.m. each day. You can even wash down the great Asian cuisine with $2 beers. Plus, the restaurant’s website features a menu that allows customers to order beforehand for take out or dine in.

Though the dinner price is relatively reasonable, head over to the Firudo Asian Food & Bar for the lunch all-you-can-eat option. Featuring a more student-friendly price, the lunch menu is a slightly modified one, but there are plenty of dishes to satisfy.