2016 ACC Tournament to be held in Washington, D.C.

The 2016 Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament will be held in the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C., ACC commissioner John Swofford announced on Wednesday.

The 14-game tournament will run Wednesday, March 9 through Sunday, March 13.

“We are excited to bring the ACC Tournament back to the nation’s capital in 2016,” Swofford said in a statement. “Verizon Center is a tremendous showcase for our event, and the Washington, D.C. area is an appealing tourist destination for our member institutions, as well as the alumni and fans of our teams. We received a lot of positive feedback after our 2005 Tournament in Washington, and we look forward to duplicating that success in 2016.”

The Tournament, which will be hosted in Greensboro, N.C., in 2014 and 2015, was held in the Verizon Center in 2005. It was also held in Landover, Md., in 1976, 1981 and 1987 at the Capital Centre. Since the first ACC Tournament in 1954, seven different cities and 11 venues have hosted the event.

The Verizon Center, which seats 20,000, currently serves as the home stadium for Georgetown men’s basketball, the NBA’s Washington Wizards, the NHL’s Washington Capitals and the WNBA’s Washington Mystics. The venue has also hosted the 1998 Stanley Cup Final, the 2001 NBA All-Star Game as well as the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament in 1998, 2002 and 2008, the second and third rounds in 2011 and the Washington Regional Round in 2006 and 2013.

“Verizon Center is thrilled to once again host the ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament in Washington D.C.,” said David Touhey, Verizon Center SVP & general manager, in a statement. “The nation’s capital serves as the perfect site for the championship tournament of such a prestigious conference. We thank the ACC for selecting us and look forward to hosting another successful tournament in March 2016.”