Falk

University Senate Committee updates class curriculum

The Falk school has proposed two programs to keep up with emerging career fields.

The University Senate Committee on Curricula has submitted a report reviewing the academics of the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics. It listed eight new courses for the proposed bachelor’s of science and minor in food studies. The other proposed program is a certificate of advanced study in trauma-informed practice, which is for people like graduate students and practicing mental health professionals, according to the report.

The committee proposed the food studies major and minor because of the field’s increasing popularity, according to the report. It will focus on the political economy of food, along with agroecology, gastronomy and nutrition. If the new major is implemented, parts of Syracuse University’s nutrition science and dietetics program will be integrated into this program, according to the report.

The proposed major is undergoing necessary state approval before it becomes available to students, said Michele Barrett, director of communications for Falk, in an email.

Barrett said the proposed food studies program follows a trend in academia toward understanding the socioeconomic bases of food production, manufacturing, distribution and consumption.

“The Falk College proposes a Food Studies Bachelor of Science program to take advantage of growing interest in food systems and how this academic training can translate into career opportunities for students,” she said.

Barrett said the major would benefit students interested in the social science and legal policy aspects of food while preparing them for careers in food sustainability and agricultural issues.

The other program proposed, a certificate of advanced study in trauma-informed practice program, is “structured for clinicians, mental health professionals and practitioners,” according to the report. The courses will address the foundational theories of trauma, along with approaches and techniques to trauma theories.

The curricula committee used research from the National Center for Trauma-informed Care, and discovered an increased interest in the field, but too few trained mental health professionals to meet the demand. The senate committee expects up to 20 students a year to enroll in the program, according to the report.

Falk has added two new programs in the past several years, such as a master’s of science program in sport venue and event management.

Barrett, Falk’s director of communications, said the programs this year were added for the same reasons past programs were added.

Like other colleges, Falk officials are evaluating the school’s academic programs while watching future trends in growing fields and related opportunities, she said. Barrett added that this is done to “ensure its offerings meet student demand, and at the same time, the needs of the market and prospective employers.”