Time columnist discusses meaning of patriotism, community

Eliot Grigo | Staff Photographer

Eric Liu, a Time columnist and educator, speaks as part of the University Lecture in Hendricks Chapel on Tuesday night. The lecture was titled “The True Meaning of Patriotism” and discussed rejecting political bias and opportunities in American communities for patriotism.

To Eric Liu, students must reject political bias and reclaim a sense of community in order to become truly patriotic citizens.

Liu, a Time columnist and educator, spoke on “The True Meaning of Patriotism” at Hendricks Chapel on Tuesday as part of the University Lecture series. Liu spoke about why some people find it difficult to accept and claim patriotism, and defined the true meaning of patriotism as the principle of showing up.

Liu shared his background as a second-generation immigrant from China living in New York state, and how he later began to understand and appreciate the opportunities his parents worked for him to have in the United States.

Left-wing ideologists gain a negative view of the word “patriotism,” Liu said, because right-wing media most frequently use the word.

But the true spirit of patriotism lies in recognizing the opportunities Americans have as citizens and their obligation to give back, Liu said.

“It’s no longer a matter of waving a flag, and saying we’re number one,” said Liu, “it’s when every one of us decides to show up.”

Choices made to ignore how communities and government work are counterproductive to finding solutions, Liu said.

“We must learn how to think in systems as citizens,” Liu said. He advised students to learn about how the government functions and to stay informed on current events, both national and local.

Liu said that anyone can simply start a movement or change the way we think in society by encouraging others to find and use their voice.

“Figure out who is the choir you’re going to talk to,” Liu said.

The discussion came to a close with Liu asking the audience to repeat an oath confirming that everyone has the right to choose to live like citizens and dream like citizens, no matter their background.

The oath is a part of Liu’s project, titled “Sworn-Again America,” which promotes the idea of Americans revitalizing their national citizenship. The oath is inspired by the oath U.S. immigrants say upon entering the country, according to the project’s website.

Charisse Hughes, a freshman public policy major, said Liu made her realize there are many dimensions to being a citizen.

“I liked how he said that rugged individualism does not help America, and how country over self is needed,” she said.

Richard Miller, a freshman public policy major, appreciated Liu’s lack of partisanship.

“I thought it was good how he took politics out of the speech, and how he spoke more about the human aspect than institution and the importance of people helping other people,” he said.

Tyler Boyle, a senior studying environmental science at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, said Liu’s lecture made him think.

“I like how he made me think about how neither side of politics should affect patriotism,” he said. “And it made me think about how any person as a citizen can engage themselves.”