Women's Soccer

Syracuse misses ACC tournament after 3-1 loss to Maryland

As rain, and even snow, fell on a frigid Thursday evening at SU Soccer Stadium, the players’ voices rang with disappointment following a 3-1 loss to Maryland.

Syracuse will not be appearing in the Atlantic Coast Conference women’s soccer tournament in its inaugural season in the league.

“Unfortunate result tonight, I don’t think it’s possible we make the tournament,” goalkeeper Brittany Anghel said. “But, we’re going to play hard no matter what and look for that win against (Boston College).”

In the first of two vital games for the Orange (7-10-1, 3-8-1 Atlantic Coast), it failed to match the Terrapins’ (9-8-0, 5-6-0) three-goal effort, which effectively eliminated any chance for an ACC tournament birth. SU was only able to convert one scoring chance against Maryland, a Jackie Firenze penalty kick tucked away in the lower-left corner of the net.

SU was riding a wave of increased offense in the past three games before the match against Maryland, posting five goals in those games. Syracuse needed wins over Maryland and Boston College this coming Thursday if it wanted to qualify for its third consecutive conference tournament.

The ACC tournament includes only the top eight teams in the conference, which is highlighted by five teams ranking No. 11 or higher in the nation.

Syracuse knew it would be a difficult challenge to consistently go against the top talent in the country, and head coach Phil Wheddon has a good idea of where his team faltered against Maryland, and throughout the season.

“Every team that we’ve played against has had a game-changing player,” Wheddon said. “The difference is what you’re able to do inside the goal area.

“These teams are all potent and dangerous inside the goal area and we’re not.”

SU has a plethora of young talent on the squad that will lead the team for years to come. Firenze knew the importance of winning Thursday’s game to continue the team’s season, but exudes much confidence regarding SU’s future in the ACC.

“We competed with every single team we saw this year, and going forward I think that other teams should be scared of us,” Firenze said. “Especially in the years to come.”

Wheddon has been more than satisfied with his team’s performance this season. The Orange lost 1-0 to the then-Nos. 3, 4, 7 and 9 teams in the country and tied then-No. 18 Duke.

Wheddon echoed Firenze’s confidence. He believes in his players going forward, but had a simple suggestion on what his team needs to do going into next season.

“Score goals.”