Shafer lists Reddish as game-time decision

Against Clemson’s potent passing attack, Syracuse will need all the help in the secondary that it can get. But as game day draws closer, Brandon Reddish’s status remains uncertain.

The cornerback will be a game-time decision after running at Wednesday’s practice for the first time since the Tulane game on Sept. 21, SU head coach Scott Shafer said at his press conference on Thursday.

“He’s doing well,” the head coach said. “He’ll be a game-time-type decision.”

Reddish suffered a lower-body injury in the Orange’s 52-17 win over the Green Wave and missed the entire second half. On Wednesday, Shafer listed him as questionable for Clemson. The head coach sees him improving, but still isn’t sure if he’ll be ready in time for the biggest game on the Orange’s schedule.

Keon Lyn and Ri’Shard Anderson are both listed as starters, along with Reddish, so they would get the call in the starting lineup should Reddish be unavailable. The bigger issue for SU is who fills out the depth chart behind them.

The No. 3 Tigers start three wide receivers, including perhaps the best in the nation, Sammy Watkins. Julian Whigham is listed as Lyn’s backup and would likely be counted on as SU’s third corner, although defensive back Wayne Morgan also said Tuesday that he’s been working at cornerback in case Reddish isn’t able to go.

“He wants to play,” Shafer said of Reddish, “but we want to put the best interest of the team first and Brandon second and make a good decision on the rest of the season as we move closer.”