Letter to the Editor

SASSE looks to educate, end stigma surrounding access to abortions

I remember the first time I thought of the word. Actually, I remember being incredibly terrified of it. It was when I was in high school, and I had unprotected sex. You could say I knew better, but I didn’t really. The fact of the matter was that no one educated me about having safe sex. Like most teen girls, I learned from hearsay.

Fortunately, my cycle came the next month, and I was not faced with the difficult decision. That word, “abortion,” became a much more distant, abstract thought that I was able to separate and quickly walk away from.

Unfortunately, that’s not every woman’s story. By age 45, about half of American women will have an unintended pregnancy, and nearly 1 in 3 women will have an abortion in her lifetime. The decision to terminate a pregnancy is not simple, and it’s not supposed to be.

Like many other medical decisions, making choices for your health is very complex, and it often takes time to come to decisions that are best for you.

That’s why this week, Students Advocating Sexual Safety and Empowerment is proud to host a 1-in-3 event to end the stigma regarding abortion access. Enough is enough. Women should not face marginalization because of their medical decisions, nor should politicians reserve the right to regulate their medical procedures.

SASSE also encourages our campus community to have safe and consensual sex! Twenty-two out of 50 states mandate sex education in public schools. That means many college students are arriving to their campuses with no education on safe sex practices or other preventative health measures. Not to mention, sex education programs are not universal and have no standardization across the states. This is a systemic issue, and we’re asking you to help us fight it.

To learn more about the 1 in 3 Campaign, go here: http://www.1in3campaign.org/. To find out more about SASSE’s 1-in-3 events, go here: https://www.facebook.com/SASSE.SU

President Erin Carhart
Executive Board
Students Advocating Sexual Safety and Empowerment 2013-14