Pulp

Masters of disguise: Try these simple DIY costumes instead of reusing unoriginal outfits

By Lindsay Dawson | Design Editor

pulp

RIP to the black cats and lumberjacks out there. It’s time to unearth some new Halloween costumes. The good news is, chances are you’ll probably find most of the materials you need already haunting your closet. So, spend some time — instead of money — this year and craft original costumes with the help of a little DIY magic.

— Compiled by The Daily Orange feature staff

Iron chef
Cook up this creative costume with just a few simple ingredients. Start with an apron. It can be basic, or you can mix things up with a decorative apron, whichever you prefer or find lying around your apartment. Next, add a few kitchen accessories to spice the outfit up, like a festive pumpkin oven mitt, a spatula or some utensils. Finally, pick up an iron from the laundry room to hold onto for the night. And voilà! Your masterpiece is complete.

Fork in the road
So, you can’t decide what to be for Halloween. Maybe you’re torn between last year’s caveman costume and the overdone superhero thing. Or maybe you just don’t have any ideas at all. Well, channel that indecisiveness into this year’s costume and show your friends just how witty you can be. Take a plain black shirt from your closet and grab some white or yellow duct tape and a plastic fork. Make a broken line of tape down the middle of the shirt. Place the fork underneath one of the strips of tape, and you’re set for the night.

Quailman
Because ’90s references are always relevant, find out which of your friends used to watch “Doug” by dressing as the most impressive superhero out there: Quailman. Throw on a long-sleeved green shirt and some khaki shorts. Tie a belt around your head, making sure that the loose end is hanging in front of your eyes, and then wrap a red towel around your neck to make the cape. Top it off by slipping into some classic whitey tighties. Make a giant “Q” with red tape on your chest and then — boom! — instant superhero. And, if you’re trying to think of a best friend’s costume, have someone else dress up as Doug’s dog, Porkchop.

Bat
Rather than completely scratch the classic black cat costume, revamp it. Throw on the black ears on top of an all-black outfit. Then, it’s time to take flight. Cut down the seam of an old, solid black T-shirt on one side. Stretch the shirt out and spread your arms to measure your wingspan. Cut holes in the fabric where your thumbs extend to, and safety pin the top of the wings to your black shirt. If you’re feeling sinister, wear some plastic fangs and draw some blood dripping out of your mouth to become a vampire. You’ll fit right in hanging out at attic parties.

Operation
The number of doctor pickup lines that accompany this costume is endless — and also recommended. Using felt or color paper, whichever you have lying around the house, cut out life-sized game pieces, including a charley horse in the thigh, butterflies in the stomach and the dreaded pencil in the wrist representing writer’s cramp. Wear all white tops and bottoms, and then safety pin all of the icons to your body. Then, walk around asking if there is a nurse handy, because you might just need an emergency operation.

Cookie Monster
Maybe you watched Sesame Street when you were little, but this Cookie Monster costume makes it clear you’re all grown up. All you need is a simple blue party dress and some white, sturdy paper. Cut the paper into two circles, draw on eyes and tape them onto the top of your dress. Then, cut some more circles out of that same paper and color them to look like chocolate chip cookies. Carry them around with you loose or in a cookie jar if you have one. If you want to make your costume even more fun and flirty, try wearing a blue feather boa.