Davis ‘probable’ to play against Wake Forest; Crume questionable

Syracuse linebacker Dyshawn Davis is “probable” to play on Saturday when the Orange hosts Wake Forest at 12:30 p.m. in the Carrier Dome, according to an injury report released by SU Athletics on Thursday.

“He practiced all week,” SU head coach Scott Shafer said at his weekly press conference earlier in the day. “He’s doing good. He’ll be playing Saturday.”

Davis hasn’t played since halftime of Syracuse’s win over North Carolina State on Oct. 12. He suffered a high right ankle sprain just before halftime that sidelined him for the rest of that game and all of the Orange’s 56-0 loss to Georgia Tech a week later.

Davis ran on Monday and participated fully on Wednesday, Shafer said.

“He’s been out for a little while so obviously there’s some rust there with the ankle,” SU linebackers coach Clark Lea said on Tuesday, “but he was able to get out there and run around some.”

Josh Kirkland filled in for Davis during the second half of the NC State game. Kirkland and freshman Marqez Hodge both started against the Yellow Jackets when Syracuse implemented a 3-4 defense. Hodge led the Orange with 12 tackles in his first career start.

Running back George Morris II will miss his third straight game and Eric Crume is listed as questionable with a lower-body injury, according to the injury report.