Sex & Health

Thaw: SU gym etiquette 101

Listen up gym newbies. After today, the grace period is over.

Schedules are settling in and people are making friends, getting involved and establishing a routine. The gyms on campus are enjoying the added traffic, but there are a few things we all must remember when we pack ourselves into those cramped quarters.

Hygiene

Wipe down the machines. I don’t care if someone has already swiped your machine. College campuses are a petri dish of grossness. Let’s not contribute further. Oh, and wear some deodorant — cologne doesn’t count.

Sharing

Share the equipment. If you’re recovering, let someone use the machine while you rest.

When waiting for a machine, try not to hover. Yes, there isn’t much space, especially during popular hours, and yes, I know you want my machine, but try not to be a creep about it. Someone also could be on the treadmill during a peak hour for longer than 30 minutes — which is a cardinal gym sin. Don’t be that person.

Space

Archbold Gymnasium is crowded at times. It’s an obstacle course in itself trying to maneuver through all the bodies, stray dumbbells, barbells, water bottles, more bodies, gym bags — you get what I’m saying.

Re-rack the equipment you use and save space by putting your stuff in a locker. Not only is it a pain trying to find a weight you need, but it’s also painful when I trip over something left out on the floor.

By the way, if you want to be everyone’s secret hero, report when a piece of equipment is broken. This good deed will have everyone singing praises in your anonymous wake. Though you remain nameless, you are a “god.”

Noise

Not all of us have super sweet noise-cancelling Beats by Dre. So, if I can hear your conversation — in person or over the phone — through my own headphones, it’s too loud. And that sound of a dumbbell or barbell crashing to the ground isn’t exactly harmonious, not to mention bad for the equipment.

F.Y.I.: Loud grunting and shrieking never convinced me Maria Sharapova was out-of-this-world talented. It won’t convince me you are, either.

Social

We all know people who have made friends or significant others at the gym. How do they do it? Well, a few ways.

Firstly, gentlemen: There are girls who like the free weights, myself included. Awkward staring doesn’t make us go away. Secondly: Patience is key. Work up some small talk for a little bit — though avoid “training tips” — and carry a mini-conversation on for a few days or weeks, and then strike it further.

I am all for making the gym a social place. I’ve made some great relationships with people I met at gyms — say “hi” if you see me — and when you are happy to see people, you’re happy to be at the gym. But remember: be mindful of people. Some are in the zone and might not want to be bothered. Use the gym as a learning opportunity.

It’s OK to want to look good at the gym. I spent several months investing my savings account into Lululemon Athletica. And if you feel like you are rockin’ those running tights or you dig your new shirt, work it. That’s positive energy channeled into a positive activity.

Still, a little modesty never hurt. If you’re tugging on spandex shorts between every set, they’re probably too short.

The Most Important Rule

If you don’t know how to do something — ask. Go sweat, and have fun while doing so.

Jillian Thaw is a magazine, newspaper and online journalism masters student. Her column appears every Wednesday in Pulp. She firmly believes in the above commandments. If you see her at Archbold, remember she likes being social. You can email her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @jathaw.