Syracuse unveils sleek new helmets in win over Tulane

Andrew Renneisen | Staff Photographer

Ryan Sloan wears SU's new helmet, made by Nike. The Orange players had input in designing the helmets.

After unveiling new pants last week, the Orange upped its swag to the next degree on Saturday.

When Syracuse (2-2) took the field against Tulane (2-2) it did so with snazzy new helmets. The sleek, matte helmets feature an “S” in the middle with classy navy blue up top and radiant orange on the bottom.

“We want to keep true to the themes as we move forward in those designs, but I’m excited,” head coach Scott Shafer said. “I know the recruits will be really excited.”

Syracuse and Nike collaborated to create the helmet. Shafer said he understands that traditionalists will wonder why the team is spicing things up to such a level.

But Shafer said when he looked back at the three-quarter sleeved, stripe-down-the-elbow jerseys from decades ago in the Syracuse Hall of Fame, he noticed how different those jerseys were. He understands the need for some razzle-dazzle heading into the Atlantic Coast Conference.

“Times change,” Shafer said. “Whether I love it or not doesn’t matter.”

Syracuse defensive back Darius Kelly said Syracuse found out about the new helmets a couple weeks ago. They tried them on for the first time Monday, but didn’t want the news to leak out until game day.

“We tried to keep it a little secret,” Kelly said.

Syracuse Director of Recruiting Eric White tweeted a picture of the helmets right after the team took the field.

Kelly, Clay Cleveland and Ashton Broyld all used different words to describe the helmets. Sweet. Great. Awesome. But the overarching message was the same.

They’re a hit.

Said Broyld: “I wish I could play in them every day.”