Pulp

Syracuse ranks No. 25 among top 100 worst areas for fall allergies

Sunday marked not only the first official day of fall, but also the first day of allergy season.

The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America recently ranked Syracuse as No. 25 among the nation’s top 100 worst places for fall allergies. The reason for Syracuse’s worse-than-average fall pollen count is because pollen from ragweed is significantly higher around this time of year, according to the foundation’s report. Other weeds like amaranth, goosefoot and sage are also to blame. The most common fall allergy is allergic rhinitis, or hay fever.

Because Syracuse draws students from many geographical areas, the variation in climate when students arrive on campus can affect reactions to allergies.

“I have to take Zyrtec and Nasonex every day, and even though I had allergies at home, I think they are worse here because there isn’t immediate air conditioning in the dorm rooms,” said Lindy Schwartz, a freshman English education and psychology major from Philadelphia.

The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America attributes this difficult allergy season to rising temperatures and carbon dioxide levels, which can elongate ragweed season by a month or more. Also supposedly playing a major role is outdoor mold, caused by storms, like last year’s Hurricane Sandy.

Before allergy season is in full swing, students should adequately prepare themselves against symptoms, said Kathy Van Vechten, the allergy specialist at Syracuse University Health Services. But some students are accustomed to chronic allergy symptoms and typically have an easier time treating their red eyes and stuffy noses. 

“Students who have bad allergies usually have had experience with allergies before and are capable of managing their own symptoms,” Van Vechten said.

Not all students, however, have suffered from allergy-related symptoms in the past and might be in for a surprise this season.

Professor Lisa Olson-Gugerty in the Department of Public Health, Food Studies and Nutrition suggests students experiencing especially bad allergy symptoms take typical over-the-counter medications, like Claritin. She also recommends practicing everyday germ-prevention techniques, like hand-washing, to stay healthy during the fall season. But she said students should not treat their symptoms until they are at a bad level.

“Students shouldn’t do anything unless symptoms are pressing. You should wait to see what is actually wrong before you treat anything,” she said.

The pollen forecast for the next two weeks is rated extreme for indoor dust and dander levels, with weed pollen being the worst offender. Students prone to allergies should be cautious and use over-the-counter medications to prevent severe symptoms. If symptoms worsen, Van Vechten said students should both visit SU Health Services and call their personal healthcare provider at home for advice on their next move.

Said Van Vechten: “Students who come from other areas and experience different symptoms here should contact their health care provider at home. An at-home provider can advise on how to treat new allergies by changing or modifying medication.”