Pulp

Street beat: Festival features handmade crafts, live music, local food

The streets smelled of barbecued chicken, freshly baked pizzas and cupcakes as people swarmed from booth to booth Sunday afternoon.

Every year, the Westcott neighborhood celebrates its diverse culture through the Westcott Street Cultural Fair. The one-day festival, now in its 22nd year, took place Sunday on Westcott Street. It ran from noon to 6:30 p.m.

This year’s street fair kicked off with a parade. It was a visual treat for the crowd as they cheered on giant puppets walking on sticks, drummers playing peppy beats and mesmerizing women of Baha’i faith grooving to the music.

The fair, a highlight of Syracuse’s local cultural scene, featured many live performances including appearances by local band Sophistafunk, belly dancing shows and an acoustic performance stage. Also, in one area of the street fair, the Syracuse Peace Council held a demonstration protesting the negative effects of drone attacks.

More than 100 booths were set up on the street, offering a mix of local handmade crafts, social engagement agencies and eateries in the area. Other activities included figure drawing, henna tattooing and face painting.

Cheryl Wilkins-Mitchell, a dance instructor at State University of New York Oswego, said she utilized her booth to offer special memories of the neighborhood. She put forth pictures taken by her late mother, Marjory Wilkins, a photographer and a lifetime resident of the Westcott neighborhood. The pictures chronicled the lives and histories of the people from the area.

Sharon Sherman, the chairwoman of this year’s festival, explained that only local businesses are included in the fair.

“The Westcott area has some great restaurants. We do not want to cause harm to the local businesses,” Sherman said.

For Steve Susman, a member of the board of Westcott Area Cultural Coalition, which is the organization behind the festival, this fair brings back fond memories. When Susman moved to the Westcott area from New York City in 1974, he said he felt that the diversity of the area was similar to Greenwich Village.

A few years back, one of Susman’s friends visited the Syracuse area from Boston. He was amazed when he saw the festival and said it was one of the most culturally diverse events he had ever seen. Susman said the festival has something to offer to people across the economic strata.

“It appeals to a really wide audience,” Susman said.

In the past, the festival was organized by a loosely structured volunteer organization based in the Westcott area. But as the annual event gained popularity and began to reach a wider audience, the Westcott Area Cultural Coalition came into existence. The coalition has been organizing the fair for four years now and puts together all the arts and culture events in the area.

Syracuse University and its students extend support to the local fair by either offering student volunteers or providing funding for the T-shirts worn by volunteers. This year, more than 100 students volunteered to be a part of the cultural fiesta. Yichi Zhang, a graduate student of finance, was one of these many volunteers.

“It is a great opportunity to interact with the local community. There is so much to explore. Live music and good food are the highlights of the fair,” Zhang said.

For first-time visitor Andrea Greenberg, a junior public relations major, the experience was “eclectic and quirky.”  She bought a pair of earrings and was glad that she could support a local business.

Said Greenberg: “I didn’t get to sample the food, but I know I’ll be back to Westcott soon for some samplings.”