Pulp

Q&A with Emme: Plus-sized model, SU alumna

Historically, the high-fashion world has been reserved for tall, skinny female models. One plus-sized model aims to change that stereotype by targeting the root of the issue — fashion design schools.

Emme is a supermodel, television personality, author, nationally recognized advocate for promoting women’s self-esteem and a Syracuse University alumna.

From July 23-Aug. 23, Emme attempted to raise donations through Kickstarter to fund a program at SU’s fashion design program. The project was called “Changing the face of fashion, one design school at a time,” and hoped to raise $58,000 by the end of the one-month period. However, the venture raised only $1,938.

If fully funded, the project would “revolutionize how classic design schools teach fashion design by addressing the exclusivity of fashion to be more inclusive” and teaching students to design clothes for full-figured women, according to the Kickstarter page.

The Daily Orange spoke with Emme about her idea to recreate SU’s fashion design program, and where she sees the idea going in the future.

The Daily Orange: Where did you get the idea?

Emme: I got the idea to do this after I sat back and thought, in order to change the way fashion is created, I may need to go right to the source, to design schools, starting with my alma mater, Syracuse. I’m in the process of creating my next fashion project and wanted to glean outgoing talent from VPA but knew that there were no designers for women with a figure graduating. I inquired at other design schools, and very few — if none — had curriculum that included women with a figure, thus the idea was born. Start ’em young!

The D.O.: Is SU the only school at which you wanted to implement it?

Emme: I wanted to start at SU, but, without a question, this idea can be implemented at every design school in the U.S. and abroad — and in my opinion, should be — for the sake of the young designers looking for work after graduation and for the millions of women looking for awesome designs that can actually fit and flatter their figures.

The D.O.: Why are you passionate about this program?

Emme: I am not only a vocal woman’s advocate and social reformer for body diversity in media and personal acceptance, but will be a client, as well. I will gain by my actions. I want beautifully styled and well-made clothing in gorgeous fabrics that make my figure look fantastic, just like any other woman who likes clothes.

The D.O.: Why do you think it’s so important to give fashion design students this opportunity?

Emme: A better, more inclusive design education when designing for women with or without a figure, more jobs at graduation, more sales for stores, more women made happy. It’s simple.