Fraternity and Sorority Affairs

Police arrest former student living in Alpha Chi Rho for possession of cocaine, marijuana

Sam Maller | Asst. Photo Editor

Police arrested Patrick Jackson, 23, a former Syracuse University student living in the Alpha Chi Rho house Thursday night. Jackson pled not guilty and wasn’t granted bail during his arraignment on Friday.

UPDATED: Sept. 29, 2013 at 12:50 a.m.

A former Syracuse University student living in Alpha Chi Rho was arrested Thursday on several felony and misdemeanor charges, after detectives found more than four ounces of cocaine, 15 grams of marijuana and $5,500 in cash in his bedroom at the house.

Syracuse Police Department detectives executed a search warrant at AXP and later arrested Patrick Jackson, 23, of 131 College Place.  The warrant came from a narcotics investigation, police said.

He was arrested on the charges of: criminal possession of a controlled substance in the second and third degrees — both felonies; criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, and two counts of criminal use of drug paraphernalia in the second degree — all misdemeanors; and unlawful possession of marijuana — a violation.

Police said 4.23 ounces of cocaine; 15.6 grams of marijuana; and $5,560 in cash was found and seized in Jackson’s bedroom.

The felony complaint against Jackson alleges that the amount of cocaine, $5,560 in cash, two digital scales, clear ziplock bags and three cellphones recovered “clearly indicate the defendant was involved in the distribution of illegal narcotics in and around the Syracuse University campus.”

The amount of cocaine recovered is the equivalent of more than 1,000 individual doses, according to the complaint, with a street value of greater than $5,000.

SPD Sgt. Tom Connellan didn’t return two messages to his cellphone and an email.

A man who identified himself as AXP’s alumni adviser at the house Friday said the fraternity is declining to comment at this time.

Two messages to Alpha Chi Rho Fraternity Inc. were also not returned.

Duane Ford, public relations chair for the Interfraternity Council, said they are not seeking judicial action or sanctions. Ford said he wasn’t sure about the university.

Debbie Manobianco, the fraternity’s staff adviser at SU, declined to talk about the arrest. The director of fraternity and sorority affairs at SU, Eddie Banks-Crosson, had his email set with an automated reply saying he was out of the office through Tuesday.

At Jackson’s arraignment on Friday, a city court judge did not grant Jackson bail, saying the court doesn’t have jurisdiction. His bail argument will be on Wednesday.

—News Editor Meredith Newman and Asst. News Editor Alfred Ng contributed reporting to this article.