Krautman underwent MRI for groin injury on Friday

Daily Orange file photo

Senior kicker Ross Krautman will miss his first career game on Saturday when the Orange hosts Wagner at 4 p.m.

Ross Krautman underwent an MRI  to examine a chronic groin injury on Friday, his high school coach Drew Gibbs said.

Krautman saw two doctors this week, including one with the  Buffalo Bills on Friday, who sent his results to a specialist in Philadelphia, Gibbs said.

“They’re trying to figure out what’s been going on with him,” Gibbs said. “He hasn’t said anything because he certainly doesn’t want to sit out, doesn’t want to lose his job. So he hasn’t said anything to just about anybody.”

The senior Krautman will miss his first career game on Saturday when the Orange plays Wagner in its home opener at 4 p.m. The injury peaked in the Orange’s 48-27 loss to then-No. 19 Northwestern on Saturday, Gibbs said. Krautman clanged a second-half extra point off the left post on his only kick in the game — his first missed PAT in 67 attempts.

“I think finally in the last ballgame is when it really came to a head and he couldn’t fight through it anymore,” Gibbs said. “It was affecting his ability to perform.”

Gibbs said Krautman hasn’t truly been healthy since his freshman season, when he made 18-of-19 field goals en route to being named a freshman All-American. “Significant groin issues” have hampered him since as his field-goal percentage has dipped each season since. As a sophomore, Krautman made 15-of-19 kicks before hitting just 15-of-23 last season.

This spring Krautman underwent an MRI and considered surgery, Gibbs said, but after his health improved throughout the summer and into training he decided against it.

“He’s a tough kid,” Gibbs said. “He fights through it. Kicking’s his life so he fights through it and works his tail off. But I know he’s been struggling for a couple years now with this injury.”

Krautman missed about a week of training camp with a slightly sprained groin. He made his first kick of the season, a 32-yarder in the second quarter of SU’s season opener against Penn State before missing a 43-yarder in the third quarter.

“Ross has got an injury that they’re trying to get a good diagnosis on, but it’s something that’s been chronic now,” SU head coach Scott Shafer said on Thursday. “Something he’s been fighting for the last two years. So I feel really bad for Ross.”