Student Association

Ivan Rosales announces candidacy for SA president; hopes to recommit organization to student body

UPDATED: Sept. 24, 2013 at 1:50 a.m.

Ivan Rosales announced his candidacy for Student Association president Monday, and said if elected, he hopes to work closely with Chancellor-designate Kent Syverud to ensure student feedback is heard.

Rosales, a junior accounting and policy studies major, announced his candidacy during a speech shortly after noon in the Schine Atrium in the Schine Student Center. His running mate is Simone Goldslager, a junior advertising major.

“We all want to attend an institution that prides itself on the value of our degree,” Rosales said in front of a crowd of about 30 supporters. “We’re all so proud that we’re the No. 5 party school, but I bet we’d be even more proud if we could say the same for our academic achievements.”

Rosales first got involved in SA during the 55th Session. He most recently served as chair of the Student Life Committee during the first part of the current session, but resigned partly because he was unsatisfied with the direction in which he saw the assembly headed. He was one of the three students on the chancellor search committee, and is also a member of the Student Philanthropy Council.

Rosales said his platform is based on how SA can refocus and recommit to the student body. It comprises three parts: academic excellence, diversity and student engagement.

With a new chancellor starting next semester, students need a way to have their feedback and concerns about academics heard, Rosales said.

Rosales said he’d do everything in his power to hold a monthly town hall during one of SA’s Monday meetings with the chancellor and vice chancellor and provost present.  That way, Rosales said, feedback about academics is taken down and brought to the right people.

When discussing diversity, Rosales said it isn’t an issue and should be promoted — but self-segregation on campus is a concern.

Both he and Goldslager, if elected, would work with campus organizations to hold a weeklong event celebrating different cultures. This would lead up to a cultural fair on the Quad or in the Schine Underground.

A large part of the student engagement pillar of his platform focuses on addressing the issue of hunger. He said a lot of people don’t know there’s a food pantry in Hendricks Chapel for students who can’t afford housing or a meal plan.

One idea Rosales had for this issue is to hold a canned food drive, he said.

“That way we, first of all, make sure the pantry is always full,” Rosales said, “but the next step from that is you’re starting a conversation that the issue exists on the Hill.”

Once there’s a dialogue about hunger on campus, Rosales and Goldslager would look to work on addressing the issue in the city, he said.

Rosales said he and Goldslager have made sure all of their goals are plausible and can be done before they leave office. They’ve met with Syracuse University Food Services and Hendricks about their ideas, Rosales said, and all are on board.

“We’re not going to promise you the stars if we can’t deliver,” he said. “But if we can get you the moon, that’s what we’re going to do.”

Rosales is the second person to announce his candidacy for president. Boris Gresely, who was at the speech, announced his plan to run at 10:45 a.m. in front of Hendricks. Gresely has not announced his running mate.