Weekender

How ’bout them apples: Apple Festival returns to SU, features food, vendors, exercise

Yuki Mizuma | Staff Photographer

Beak & Skiff Apple Orchards contributes apples, such as these Paula Reds, to the annual Apple Festival on the Quad. This is the event's third year.

Syracuse got a taste of fall weather this week, but students who really want to celebrate the season’s arrival should check out the third annual Apple Festival on the Quad between 11 a.m.- 2 p.m. on Friday.

The Department of Recreation Services, in partnership with Syracuse University Food Services, will host the festival. It will feature games, food, a farmer’s market, products from local vendors, booths for SU programs and a 2-mile walk/run “fun race.”

Joseph Lore, director of Recreation Services, said he considers the Apple Festival one of his department’s great successes. The event brings the Syracuse community to the university’s campus and exposes students to parts of the city they may not be aware of otherwise.

“It allows the university community to experience the diversity and richness of Central New York’s products and services,” Lore said.

Local apple orchard Beak & Skiff, located in LaFayette, will provide freshly picked apples for the festival. The orchard is also open in the fall months for apple picking.

Some other companies that will be represented are Gannon’s Isle Ice Cream, SpaZend, Gramma and Grandpa’s Kettlecorn, Joy Khan Jewelry and Karen’s Crafts. Students will be able to shop from these vendors in a “buy local” market environment.

But the Apple Festival isn’t just about buying cool stuff and supporting the local economy. One of its main purposes is to encourage a healthy lifestyle, which is evident by the 2-mile walk/run. Lore said the Department of Recreation Services strives to provide students with activities to improve both physical and emotional well-being.

“Our department offers members of the university community the opportunity to experience a variety of health and wellness opportunities through the execution of quality programs,” Lore said.

The walk/run will begin at 12:15 p.m., and although participants were encouraged to register in advance, don’t worry if you missed the Sept. 3 deadline. Participants are welcome to register the day of the event.

But if physical activity or shopping isn’t really your thing, try out other aspects of the Apple Festival. For instance, everyone has to eat. Why not eat locally grown produce and other delicious food from the farmer’s market?

Although there is a farmer’s market every Tuesday in Clinton Square, some students may not have the means to go downtown to buy the reasonably priced, fresh food. The Apple Festival is a unique opportunity for people in the SU community to cater to students.

So get out of your dorm or apartment this weekend and celebrate the fall weather before the winter months set it. No matter what your interests are — whether you want to do a bit of shopping, run off the stress week two of classes laid on you or eat a healthy, locally grown meal — the Apple Festival has something to offer everyone.