Broyld getting better grasp of playbook

For the first two weeks of the season, Ashton Broyld operated almost exclusively out of the slot.

But in Syracuse’s 54-0 pounding of Wagner on Saturday, the sophomore H-back moved all over the field, playing in the slot, lining up out wide and even taking a snap in the Wildcat formation.

Shafer said this is a product of his improved understanding of the Orange’s playbook.

“What we want to be able to do is continue to move him around and play him at different spots,” Shafer said during the teleconference.

Broyld, who’s listed as a running back on SU’s roster, leads Syracuse with 18 catches this year. His seven catches against the Seahawks matched a career high he set a week earlier. His 145 receiving yards rank second on the team.

In 2012, the Orange tried him almost exclusively as a running back. Broyld carried the ball 36 times last year for 171 yards and a touchdown.

Now Syracuse is finding different ways to get one of its most talented players the ball more frequently. On his first pass of the season, Broyld hit Christopher Clark for an 8-yard gain.

“He’s done a nice job,” Shafer said. “We want to create mismatch issues for the defense and try to better get him even more opportunities to make plays.”

Lourawls 'Tum Tum' Nairn draws inspiration from roots, mother with Michigan State

On Friday at 10:07 p.m., when seventh-seeded Michigan State takes on No. 3 seed Oklahoma in the Carrier Dome, the point guard’s unexpected path to prominence on college basketball’s biggest stage will continue. The freshman entered MSU’s starting lineup for good in early February, which might be one of the lesser surprising things that have happened in his life. Read more »