Welsh interception highlights career day

Ziniu Chen | Staff Photographer

Defensive end Robert Welsh barrels toward the end zone after hauling in his first career interception. He was brought down at the 1-yard line.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Robert Welsh isn’t usually in a place where he can come away with interceptions.

The defensive end scored two touchdowns as a tight end at St. Anthony’s High School in New York, but never had grabbed an interception before his first Syracuse start Saturday against Penn State in the New York’s College Classic.

“Out of all the plays that play I just felt like I wasn’t in my own body,” Welsh said. “It was funny because Coach called a great call and I did exactly what I was supposed to do.”

That was watch the quarterback’s eyes and try to make a play. Welsh was surprised that the Nittany Lions were throwing the ball as they tried to ice an eventual 23-17 win over SU, but the play call works well against a run or pass.

Christian Hackenberg, Penn State’s freshman quarterback who threw two picks in his debut, tossed one toward Welsh. He bobbled the pass, but eventually gathered it.

“Then when I caught it I said, ‘Oh I have the sideline,’” he said, “and I switched hands and got to the end zone as quick as I could.”

Running back Zach Zwinak flipped Welsh as he dove for the end zone and was stopped at the 1-yard line — “I think I was in,” Welsh said, “but the ref said it wasn’t so it wasn’t in” — before Jerome Smith pounded in a run to get the Orange within six.

It didn’t end up saving SU, but it highlighted a career day for the junior. Welsh made four solo tackles, two unassisted, and recorded his first career sack on the field at MetLife Stadium, where his grandfather has season tickets to New York Giants games.

His whole family roots for the Giants, so it was an unforgettable experience for Welsh, even if his team left without a victory.

Said Welsh: “Definitely the highlight of my life.”