The Daily Orange’s unofficial positional breakdown: No. 9: The secondary

Luke Rafferty | Video Editor

Backup safeties Ritchy Desir (left) and Wayne Morgan will look to fill the void left by Shamarko Thomas in the Syracuse secondary.

Football beat writers David Wilson, Stephen Bailey and Trevor Hass are counting down the days until Syracuse football opens its season against Penn State on Aug. 31. They’ll show you what you can expect from each position as the Orange moves toward its Atlantic Coast Conference debut, with the top position showcased in The DO’s annual season preview guide to be released on Aug. 29.

No. 10: Kick returners/punt returners

Syracuse’s secondary lost one of its integral members when strong safety Shamarko Thomas took his talents to the NFL this summer.

He left an intriguing blend of experienced and young players who will have to step up for the Orange this season.

Seniors Keon Lyn and Ri’Shard Anderson occupy the starting cornerback positions, with junior Brandon Reddish and sophomore Julian Whigham chomping at their heels.

Sophomore Durell Eskridge is slated No. 1 at strong safety in front of junior Ritchy Desir. And senior Jeremi Wilkes starts at free safety while sophomore Wayne Morgan waits behind him.

When it comes down to it, the play of Anderson and Eskridge are the biggest question marks heading into the season. They will be key in determining how the secondary fares without Thomas.

“I’ve seen some good things,” Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer said of his secondary. “We’ve got some guys who can break on the ball and grab grass out there.”

Key returning players

Eskridge played in all 13 games in his redshirt freshman season, starting two. The 6-foot-3, 207-pound free safety kicked his college career off with a bang, leading the defense with nine tackles against Northwestern and chipped in four solo tackles against West Virginia in the Pinstripe Bowl.

After the season it became clear Eskridge played through a hand injury for the second half of the season when he posted a photo of his wrapped hand on Instagram.

Desir is also competing for the starting nod. A 5-foot-11, 187-pound multi-purpose player from North Miami Beach, Fl., Desir also played in all 13 games last season, seeing time as a punt returner and strong safety.

Shafer said Wednesday he’s been impressed with both players so far through three days of practice.

“Eskridge, Ritchy Desir’s got a couple pics,” Shafer said. “I’ve seen some good things. Looking forward to amping it up a little bit with these pads so I can see their striking as well.”

Lyn played with the first unit for 10 games last season. He tied for seventh in the Big East in interceptions per game and was a relatively consistent presence at cornerback.

Wilkes is one of the defense’s most experienced players. He’s played in all 38 games of his Syracuse career, starting all 13 his junior season. His tackle total has increased by 20 or more every year.

The only possible issue with Wilkes is that he’s a bit undersized. He’s listed at 5 feet 9 inches and 179 pounds on Syracuse’s updated roster.

Reasons for optimism

Depth. There’s a viable backup at each position in the secondary. Whigham’s pushing Lyn. Desir’s driving Eskridge. Morgan is doing the same to Wilkes, while Reddish may take Anderson’s job.

The secondary’s depth is its most impressive asset. It’s reasonable to say that all eight players could contend for the four starting jobs.

“I like that group,” Shafer said. “I think it can be an above-average group.”

Desir said he’s not worried about the holes in consistency or the lack of experience in some areas of the secondary. He’s not sure how the unit will respond, or even who will start, but he’s excited to find out.

“I love the secondary,” Desir said, “and I’m confident in what we’re going to do, but we have to wait until the first game to see.”

Reasons for concern

Ryan Nassib’s gone at quarterback. Alec Lemon and Marcus Sales are gone. And so is Thomas, Syracuse’s leading tackler from a year ago.

Arguably the crux of Syracuse’s defense in 2012, Thomas ranks sixth in team history for tackles by a defensive back with 263. A team-leading 88 of those came last season, as Thomas also racked up two interceptions and three forced fumbles.

The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted Thomas in the fourth round of the April NFL Draft. He’s currently third on their depth chart at strong safety, behind Troy Polamalu and Da’Mon Cromartie-Smith.

The entire Syracuse defense – not just the secondary – will miss Thomas’ presence making tackles and communicating.

“Shamarko had a big influence on me,” said outside linebacker Dyshawn Davis. “Looked up to him, his work ethic. He’s an inspiration.”

Thomas’ departure is one reason for concern. Another is the inconsistency of Anderson. He finished ninth on the team in tackles and went through a dry spell toward the end of the season.

During the first five games, Anderson made 21 solo tackles. Through the next seven contests, that number dipped to eight.

The verdict

Desir and the rest of the Orange are eager to move on without Thomas.

They’re excited to create their own legacy and silence the haters.

“I’ve been behind Shamarko for two years and he’s taught me a lot,” Desir said, “but now it’s time for us as a secondary to grow up and do it without Shamarko.”

That should be doable. Syracuse has talent at all four positions. Having said that, the inconsistency of Anderson and the youth of Eskridge and Whigham could pose problems down the road.

Grade: B-

Come back to DailyOrange.com on Sundayto find out which position comes in at No. 8.