Olympic Sports

Men’s soccer, women’s soccer, volleyball games to be televised this fall

As a new member of the Atlantic Coast Conference, Syracuse University Athletics will now be part of the ACC’s Olympic sports broadcast package.

On Thursday, the ACC announced broadcast coverage for Olympic sports during the fall season. The league’s media rights holders will distribute at least 101 events live, according to the release. As part of the deal, five SU sporting events will be televised on ESPN3.

The SU men’s soccer team, coming off a 14-6-1 campaign and NCAA tournament Sweet 16 loss to Georgetown, will play North Carolina on Oct. 18. That match will be broadcasted on ESPN3 and regional sports networks. The SU women’s soccer team’s game at North Carolina State on Oct. 20 will also be featured on regional sports networks and ESPN3.

Three Orange volleyball matches, at Pittsburgh on Oct. 20, at Clemson on Nov. 22, and at Notre Dame on Nov. 30 will be televised as well.

Also part of the deal, the SU men’s soccer team will be featured on regional sports networks MSG, NESN, and YES. The ACC men’s and women’s soccer championship games will both be carried live on ESPNU, and both semifinals will be shown on ESPN3.

Posse program changes disappoint, empower current SU scholars

The university announced about a month ago that SU would now only provide scholarships for future Posse scholars from Miami and would stop scholars from Atlanta and Los Angeles. But following a protest of the decision on Sept. 19, administrators announced they were rethinking the changes and on Monday decided to continue the Atlanta Posse for one more year. Although the changes will not affect current Posse scholars, the uncertainty surrounding the program has strengthened the Posse community on campus. Read more »