Juice Jam 2013

Kendrick Lamar, Nicky Romero, The Neighbourhood to perform at Juice Jam 2013

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this article, the first quote was misattributed to Kelly Benini. The quote was given by University Union President Billy Ceskavich. The Daily Orange regrets this error. 

Rapper Kendrick Lamar, electronic music producer Nicky Romero and alternative rock band The Neighbourhood will perform at Syracuse University’s annual Juice Jam music festival on Sept. 8.

The festival’s second stage will feature indie-rockers Smallpools, electronic dance music DJ Robert DeLong and hip-hop artist Ab-Soul.

“The Juice Jam Music Festival 2013 is one of the most ambitious events we have produced,” said Billy Ceskavich, University Union president. “We have doubled the number of performers across a diverse set of genres all in an effort to create an event that has something for everyone.”

This year’s Juice Jam marks UU’s first multi-stage festival, as well as the first student-run music festival in the nation. The concert will last for a full day and feature both a main stage and an indie stage at Skytop Field on South Campus.

Tickets go on sale Tuesday on the Schine Box Office’s website, and Aug. 26 at the actual box office location. Tickets are available for all SU and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry students, staff and faculty with a valid ID. Up to six tickets per person are available at the box office, and up to four tickets may be purchased online.

Lamar, the Compton, Calif., rapper behind the critically acclaimed album “good kid, m.A.A.d city,” ranked the second-most requested headlining act in UU’s Juice Jam survey. The lineup features festival circuit veterans, said UU Concert Director Kelly Benini, brought to UU’s attention through social media outlets.

“We watch everything people say online, and work to cater to that,” she said. “Most of the acts on this year’s lineup have been in the major music festival circuit.”

While this year’s Juice Jam features two stages and six acts, Benini said there will be no overlapping set times during the festival.

“Our goal with this new format was to have constant music throughout the day,” she said.

Variety in genres was also a priority for the festival — the bill is evenly split among rappers Lamar and Black Hippy member Ab-Soul; electronic artists Romero and DeLong; and young bands The Neighbourhood and indie-pop Smallpools, Benini said. The Neighbourhood released its debut “I Love You” this year, while Smallpools is hot on the heels of its debut extended play.

UU also doubled the activities available at Juice Jam this year, Benini said. New highlights include airbrush tattoos, carnival games and caricature artists. The organization will promote the festival on its social media accounts with the hashtag #JJFest2013.