Former SU student remembered for upbeat personality, passion for journalism

To his colleagues, Alex Sellen’s passion for journalism and interacting with people was evident in film reels of his interviews. His upbeat spirit made strangers comfortable when he interviewed them, bringing a smile to their face within seconds of saying hello.

Sellen, 21, a recent graduate of Syracuse University, died Sunday. He transferred from Bucks County Community College to SU during his junior year, where he studied broadcast journalism.

This summer, he interned as a reporter at SSPTV News 13, a local news station in Hazleton, Pa.

“Alex made such a positive impact on people no matter where he went,” said Meghann Ludemann . “He had a personality that touched everyone he met in such a positive way.”

She added Sellen’s passion for the industry turned broadcast journalism into more than just a college major.

Kristina Papa, a reporter at SSPTV, said she was extremely shocked and saddened by the news about Sellen’s passing, having just seen him the week before. Days after hearing the news, Papa said the newsroom is still hurting from the loss, often reviewing photos and footage of Sellen.

“I think it’s one of those things where we didn’t get to see his full potential,” Papa said. “In some of his outtakes you could tell he really wanted it and he was working to get better. Being so young, he had so much potential for a life in journalism but also a life in general.”

John Nicholson, a broadcast and digital journalism professor of practice who taught Sellen, learned before his student’s death that Sellen told friends he really looked up to Nicholson as a professor. Nicholson said he didn’t realize he was a role model to Sellen, but had always thought of Sellen as one of his most memorable students.

“He was one of those kids who might have wanted you to think ‘I’m not that smart,’ but after they begin to trust you, they realize they don’t have to hide anymore,” Nicholson said. “Over the semester, I really got to know him. I thought the world of him.”

Nicholson said Sellen once asked him for advice on a news story he was developing about a man whose house burned down. He said he told Sellen to go to up to Phoenix, N.Y., and try to talk to some of the people involved in the story. Despite nerves, Sellen made the trip and was even able to talk to the victim himself, Nicholson said.

“After class, Alex came up and thanked me for giving him the confidence to do it,” he said. “The more it went on, I think the more he realized ‘If I try, I can do this.’ By the end of the semester, I thought he was the guy that made the most improvement from start to finish.”

Ludemann, Sellen’s friend, said she remembers the same story from that class, but for a different reason.

“He lead into the story with ‘What started out as late night fried chicken…’ and I thought, any other student would have overlooked that detail and just reported on the damages or injuries right away,” Ludemann said. “You never knew what he was going to say, but he brought life into the newscasts with his personality.”

“I’ll never forget Alex’s ability to talk to anyone and make anyone laugh. It was a true talent and he had it.”