First-team H-back Broyld says he’s mostly been working with Allen

Quarterback Drew Allen has been working primarily with the first team, sophomore H-back Ashton Broyld said Tuesday.

“I go with Drew most of the time and a little bit of T(errel) Hunt,” said Broyld, who is listed as the first-team H-back and has practiced there throughout the summer.

Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer has gone to great lengths to veil who his starting quarterback will be when the Orange opens its season against Penn State on Saturday at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. Shafer said that the team has a “direction” in which it’s going at a press conference on Saturday, and Broyld indicated that direction appears to be Allen when The Daily Orange asked him if Allen was working mostly with him on the first team.

“Yeah, you could say that,” Broyld said. “T-Hunt gets reps in there, too, because it’s still a battle. We’re just trying to get the hang of each other pretty much.”

Shafer closed practices to the media last Wednesday and has been steadfast in his comments that both Allen, the senior transfer from Oklahoma, and Hunt, the redshirt sophomore, are still competing for the job.

Being Allen’s last chance to play after backing up Sam Bradford and Landry Jones at OU, he’s eager for the opportunity to get on the field, though he did not acknowledge his starting role.

“I’m very excited,” Allen said. “Nervousness is not a factor to be honest. Maybe I’ll be nervous on Saturday, just a little bit, to get those first couple plays, if my number is called.”