2013 mayoral election

Democratic candidates face off in TV debate

Three Syracuse mayoral candidates squared off in a televised forum Wednesday, each pitching themselves as the best candidate in the Democratic primary this September.

Incumbent Mayor Stephanie Miner, District Councilor Pat Hogan and community activist Alfonso Davis shared their views on community safety, city finances and neighborhood development, among other topics, during the hour-long Q-and-A forum.

Some of the topics discussed reflected the concerns of Syracuse residents, who were invited to post on Twitter using the hashtag #syrmayor. Viewers also responded to live polls, voting about which candidate responded best to each question.

WCNY-TV’s Susan Arbetter and the Syracuse Media Group’s Marie Morelli, whose companies presented the forum, hosted the discussion.

Questions about community safety and the role of the Syracuse Police Department kicked off the forum at 8 p.m., with all candidates favoring some form of police presence on city streets.

“Police officers have to know the area,” Hogan said, arguing in favor of a neighborhood policing approach.

Davis, too, said he supported community policing. He continued to suggest that a contentious relationship between the police and Syracuse residents exists, and said a visible police presence in the city could help resolve this.

Miner said she models her police philosophy after successful models in other cities such as New York City. Police analyze crime data and then respond to areas that need a police presence, she said.

Speaking on city finances, the candidates favored different approaches to balancing Syracuse’s budget while supporting community programs.

Rather than cutting programs or raising taxes — measures that no candidate said they openly supported — Hogan said he thought the city should try consolidating services or increasing revenue, both avenues he said the city had never explored.

In particular, Hogan said he favored consolidating services. He referenced his years in the Syracuse City Parks and Recreation Department when suggesting that this department consolidate with the related department for the county.

Davis said bringing small businesses to Syracuse could provide needed tax revenue for the city. To do so, he said, a mayor had to act as an ambassador for a city.

“You have to sell your city,” he said. “Syracuse is a great place.”

Miner, however, insisted that unlike her fellow candidates, she understood the necessity of making difficult decisions. She said she in no way supports “handouts” from the state, citing Detroit as a negative example of this, and expressed a desire to work with the state to change the model of city funding.

Further, she protected her high profile within the state against Hogan’s accusations that she spent too long away from Syracuse and its residents, arguing her position within the state had aided Syracuse. Specifically, she said, her influence had aided in securing state and federal funding for the new WCNY-TV studio on the Near Westside where the forum took place.

The accusation was just one example of mild barbs among candidates throughout the forum.

The general election, set for Nov. 5, will feature the winner of the Democratic primary on Sept. 10. This candidate, as well as candidates from other parties, will face ever-changing challenges in the city.

Said Miner in her closing remarks: “The challenges in the past pale in comparison to the challenges of the future.”