Activity away from practice field highlights first day at Fort Drum

FORT DRUM, N.Y. — The trip up to Fort Drum is still a part of training camp, yes, but for part of the visit football inevitably gets placed on the backburner.

Right when two-a-days are heating up across the country, Syracuse is replacing one of those practices with activity with military personnel.

Tuesday morning’s activity was canceled because of rain and the Orange did practice in the afternoon, but both of the highlights of Scott Shafer’s day came away from the practice field.

About 30 military personnel joined SU at lunch on its first full day at Fort Drum. They missed the early-morning activities, but still got to spend time with the military members at the base.

Then Shafer looked to the field behind the podium where he spoke after practice. There were children, most of whom couldn’t have been older than 6, playing football in full pads.

“All these Pop Warner, Fort Drum kids, running around, playing football — greatest game ever created — on a military base and busting their rumps as a bunch of little guys,” Shafer said. “And it’s got to be as exciting for them as it is for us to have two practices going simultaneously.”

Syracuse arrived at Fort Drum on Monday and began practice at the military base on Tuesday afternoon. The Orange will remain at Fort Drum until Friday, with a scrimmage to be played Thursday night.

The football, though, sometimes can become the other story. Most of the media in attendance on Tuesday wanted to know about SU players’ experiences with the military personnel, and even Shafer discussed that before talking about his product on the field.

He takes the trip as an opportunity to pick up on military tactics that foster camaraderie and teamwork.

For the week, Shafer has divided the team into groups of 10-12 players with no rhyme or reason to the breakdown.

“It’s not by position,” Shafer said. “You’ve got offensive linemen, defensive linemen, a defensive back, a kicker in the group.”

As a group, they’re responsible for room checks, waking up and even riding a bus — there must be a group of at least 10 to ride a bus.

Of course, there was still football played. The portion that was open to the media was a relatively light session as the quarterbacks barely even threw the ball.

Still, Shafer was pleased with the day. Syracuse finished with a scrimmage and the head coach said he’s beginning to see some of the position battles start to take shape as the intensity level picks up.

“I thought we had some real good competition going on,” Shafer said. “Finished up with a live period at the end, gave the kids an opportunity to whack each other a little bit. That was good to see.”