Syracuse, Boston College set to renew old Big East rivalry in new-look ACC

GREENSBORO, N.C. — Syracuse and Boston College are ready to renew their rivalry in the final game of the regular season after a two-year respite.

Boston College head coach Steve Addazio addressed the media at Atlantic Coast Conference Football Kickoff and talked about the importance of having the Orange in the ACC. Addazio coached alongside Paul Pasqualoni at SU in the 1990s and his son, Louie, played for Syracuse before transferring to BC. He said he’s excited to face SU in his first season as the Eagles’ head coach.

“It’s going to be great to be in the last game,” Addazio said. “There’ll be a lot of energy around it. It’ll be fun.”

The schools’ rivalry dates back decades. They first squared off on Nov. 18, 1924. The Orangemen won that game 10-0, and hold a 28-18 series lead against the Eagles.

Now, in Syracuse’s first season in the conference, the two will play each other on Nov. 30 in a game that is likely to have postseason implications.

Addazio replaced Frank Spaziani, whose win total declined in each of his four seasons at the helm. Despite a 38-20 loss to Syracuse last season, Addazio went 13-11 at Temple and said he’s ready for another shot at the Orange.

“It’s been a traditional rivalry game,” Addazio said. “When I coached at Syracuse it was a big rivalry game and it will be again because geographically you’re tied.”

Addazio mentioned the abundance of Syracuse alumni in Boston and said that many people have ties to both schools. Syracuse was picked to finish sixth in the Atlantic Division, one spot in front of Boston College.

Low preseason expectations aside, Addazio is excited about the matchup’s late-season implications.

“It’s kind of, in a weird way, back to the way it used to be,” he said. “It’s competing against a geographically based team for an opportunity to win a championship.”