FIL World Cup

Syracuse alum Rowan leads US into World Cup final

Five years ago, Katie Rowan led Syracuse women’s lacrosse to its first national semifinal in program history. She led the country in points and assists.

This year, she’s led the United States women’s lacrosse team to the World Cup final.

“In a way it’s similar to college, how I prepare by visualizing and meditating a little,” Rowan said before the tournament. “Just calming myself before games and looking over scouting reports, reminding myself of our system.”

Rowan starred at SU as a three-time first-team All American. The most decorated player in school history, she’s tops in the Orange record book with 396 career points and 164 assists. With a 21-8 stomping of England Friday, the U.S. moved into Saturday’s 3 p.m. final against hosts Canada.

The Americans have won six of eight Word Cups, including 2009’s event. The event is where the best of the best compete to earn lacrosse’s top prize: a gold medal. Without a professional women’s league, it is the pinnacle of players’ careers, a heartbreak to miss.

For Rowan, and Team USA, another gold medal is the only goal for this year’s event, taking place in Oshawa, Canada.

She was a member of the 2009 team that won gold in Prague, Czechoslovakia.

“It’s such an honor to represent to come and play for your country,” Rowan said. “Just winning the championship game and getting the gold medal was a really special moment.”

Rowan’s foundation began at Syracuse University under head coach Gary Gait, who knew that Rowan was an exceptionally skilled player who added elite intelligence.

Rowan set single-season program marks with 142 points and 69 assists as a senior in 2008, garnering the nomination to be a finalist for the Tewaaraton Trophy, given annually to the nation’s best player.

“She works hard at it, all preseason she’s been working hard, working out, working on her stick working on her speed,” Gait said. “You need that type of boxer mentality to continue to be able to play once you finish college.”

On Friday she set the all-time U.S. record for assists when her second of the game gave her 33 for her career.

Rowan admits herself that the habits learned under the Carrier Dome lights have helped improve her game.

After her SU career ended, she moved on to international play. Rowan said heading into Oshawa, the team had a greater level of experience than the 2009 squad.

“In 2009 the whole team, all 18 of us, it was our first world cup so we were going a little into the unknown,” Rowan said.

Chemistry won’t be a problem either, as many of the players from the 2009 gold medal team played competitively with one another over the past four years.

Rowan could have had another SU alumnus on the roster with her in Michelle Tumolo. But Tumolo, who made the national team as a freshman, is sidelined this year due to injuries.

For Tumolo, missing the World Cup is devastating.

“I was trying not to think about it because I could have maybe been there being an alternate,” Tumolo said. “Being hurt has definitely been reminding me the past couple days because its been starting and I’ve been watching the games.”

This United States team brings both great talent and experience. It’s up to Katie Rowan and company to bring home the ultimate prize.

Said Rowan: “It’s a really great experience to see all the countries come together to play lacrosse. It’s highly competitive and I’m just honored to be a part of it.”