Broyld, Estime in contention for H-back spot despite vast differences in size, skillset

GREENSBORO, N.C. — Ashton Broyld stands at 6 feet 4 inches, 221 pounds, while Brisly Estime is listed at 5 feet 9 inches, 176 pounds.

Yet, according to Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer, the two can both thrive at H-back. Much like quarterbacks and wide receivers have different fortes, H-backs come in all shapes and sizes, according to Shafer.

An H-back typically plays like a tight tend, lining up next to the quarterback, running short passing routes and occasionally running the ball.

“The best way to look at it, from the outside in, would be this,” Shafer said. “You have a nickelback on defense but that’s actually a linebacker.

“They both play the strong-side linebacker position, but the situation and what you want to do with that person, with that player and his skill sets, dictates what the H-back or nickelback position is.”

So Broyld, who came to Syracuse as a freakishly athletic quarterback, will line up largely as a power back for the Orange. Broyld was one of four true freshmen to play for SU last season. He finished with 171 rushing yards and caught seven passes for a total of 53 yards.

Shafer said Broyld brings a unique mix of talents that differ from those of Estime or wide receiver Jarrod West. He said using different kinds of players at the same position is common at quarterback, so he expects it will work at H-back, too.

“Everybody does it at quarterback,” Shafer said. “He’s this type of an H-back. Same position, different guy, different skill set.”