Syracuse earns commitment from 3-star linebacker Bennett

Syracuse received a verbal commitment from three-star linebacker Parris Bennett on Monday, the Post-Standard reported.

The 6-foot, 210-pound commit from University of Detroit Jesuit High School (Mich.). is SU’s third linebacker in the Class of 2014. Bennett joins Zaire Franklin from Wyndmoor, Pa., and Colton Moskal from Lake Zurich, Ill.

He can play both middle and outside linebacker despite size limitations, according to the Post-Standard.

It was Bennett’s versatility that initially attracted SU linebackers coach Clark Lea when he was coaching at Bowling Green last season, according to the Post-Standard.

He also received offers from 10 other schools, according to Scout.com, most notably Pittsburgh.

Bennett is SU’s sixth verbal commitment from the Class of 2014, joining Franklin, Moskal, running back Naesean Howard, quarterback A.J. Long, and cornerback Rodney Williams.

Back of the pack

None of the Orange's running backs have crossed the goal line since the season opener. They hope to change that against N.C. State on Saturday. Read more »

The Quiet Corner

Brandon Reddish doesn't say much. He doesn't like to and he doesn't need to. The Syracuse cornerback leads an Orange secondary that's held opponents to 197.6 passing yards per game. Read more »