Nancy Cantor

Cantor to become head of Rutgers University-Newark campus

Rutgers University officials will announce Chancellor Nancy Cantor as the head of the school’s Newark campus later today, The Star-Ledger reported.

Rutgers’ Board of Governors will make the decision official at a 1 p.m. meeting. Cantor’s new role with Rutgers will include managing one of the university’s three campuses and reporting to its president, Robert Barchi, according to The Star-Ledger.

In the article, Cantor said she was not actively looking for another leadership job, but was approached to take the $385,000 job — compared to her current salary of about $615,000. She said she was also attracted to Rutgers’ racially diverse and urban campus, according to The Star-Ledger.

Cantor said she plans to move to Newark with her family in a new chancellor’s residence, according to the article.

Kevin Quinn, senior vice president for public affairs, said he would not comment until an official announcement was made at 1 p.m.

Cantor, currently the chancellor and president of Syracuse University, will begin her last academic year with the university in the fall. She announced in October that she would be departing in the spring of 2014.