Syracuse depth chart release announces position changes, extra year of eligibility for Smith

Syracuse’s Ron Thompson has been moved from tight end to defensive end.

The 6-foot-4, 256-pound redshirt freshman did not appear in a game this past season, as he recovered from surgery for a hip injury.

During his senior year at Southfield (Mich.) High School, Thompson recorded 98 tackles, including six sacks. Thompson joins a defensive front that needs to replace seniors Deon Goggins (53 total tackles in 2012) and Brandon Sharpe (seven sacks) as well as starter Markus Pierce-Brewster, who was dismissed from the team in March.

Smith receives extra year of eligibility

Syracuse running back Jerome Smith received a retroactive medical redshirt. Smith played two games in his freshman season before being sidelined with an injury to his left shoulder.

He appeared in all 12 of the Orange’s games in 2011 and racked up 134 yards with a touchdown.

This past season, Smith played in all 13 of SU’s games while starting 12. He became the 16th running back in Syracuse history to accumulate 1,000 rushing yards in a season. Smith finished with 1,171 yards and three touchdowns. In the Pinstripe Bowl, Smith accounted for 152 of SU’s 369 yards on the ground in SU’s beating of West Virginia.

In 2013, Smith and senior Prince-Tyson Gulley are expected to receive the bulk of carries out of Syracuse’s backfield.

Ameen-Moore moved to fullback

Junior Adonis Ameen-Moore has switched from running back to fullback. The Orange has seven running backs listed on the official roster, and Ameen-Moore moves to a group that includes two other fullbacks.

Throughout the 2012 season, the 5-foot-11, 239-pound back was the centerpiece of a tight goal-line formation labeled the “Tank” package. Ameen-Moore finished with five touchdowns on 30 carries for 108 yards but was suspended for the Pinstripe Bowl for a violation of athletic department rules.