Commencement 2013

Nicholas Kristof delivers keynote address; encourages graduates to follow passions, pay education forward

Chase Gaewski | Photo Editor

Undergraduate students from the College of Arts and Sciences sit on the turf in the Carrier Dome on Sunday morning as a part of the commencement ceremony.

As he stepped behind the podium in the Carrier Dome for the Class of 2013 graduation, journalist Nicholas Kristof made an odd request.

He wanted an orange blood transfusion before he left campus, referencing an earlier speech by graduating senior Jaime Bernstein that delved into what it means to truly bleed orange with school pride.

The crowd laughed, and Kristof continued delivering the keynote speech at Syracuse University’s 159th and the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry’s 116th commencement ceremony on Sunday.

Kristof is an acclaimed reporter for The New York Times and a Pulitzer Prize winning columnist, and has lived on four continents, reported on six and traveled to more than 150 countries.

He’s also currently in the process of authoring a how-to book with his wife about making a difference in the world.

This sentiment seemed fresh on Kristof’s mind as he relayed stories from his travels to the 2013 graduating classes of SU and ESF.

He talked about the hardships young women faced in other nations where they are not allowed to receive education, and how people come to America to change their future.

Kristof told the graduates to take hold of their degrees and search for a way to use them for the world’s greater good.

“I do hope that you will find some space in your life, some space for engaging in a cause that is larger than yourselves,” Kristof said. “I hope you’ll use your education to go toward those pleas for help.”

And for graduates looking for jobs after college, Kristof noted the cliche that money can’t buy happiness, but neither can living in poverty.

A more tangible way to find happiness is to engage with others collectively and to not be selfish when looking toward the future, he said.

Kristof commended Chancellor Nancy Cantor for her vision of Scholarship in Action and for teaching the students to work toward the public good, something that he fully believes in.

“It’s a tough time to graduate given the job market these days,” Kristof said. “The truth is, frankly, we’re so damn lucky to be in this time and place and enjoying this public good of a university education.”

In closing, Kristof told the graduates to take the responsibility of earning an education to pay it forward.

“My advice is to find some issue that resonates with you, that you care about, and then work to get engaged in it, if only in your spare time,” he said.

Kristof’s speech of hope for the future received a resounding applause when he sat down. He was later recognized as one of five people to receive honorary degrees given out by the university.

As Cantor presented Kristof with his Doctor of Humane Letters, she said: “We are thrilled to give you some orange blood.”