ACC announces 2013 bowl schedule

The Atlantic Coast conference released the schedule for its 2013 bowl season on Monday. There are some familiar names from the Big East — the conference champion still is likely to play in the Orange Bowl — but other staples are gone. No longer can SU qualify for the Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl or Syracuse’s postseason-staple Pinstripe Bowl. Here’s a full look at the bowl schedule, in order of selection process by the ACC:

Discover Orange Bowl
Friday, Jan. 3, 2014 8 p.m. at Sun Life Stadium in Miami (ESPN)

The Orange Bowl’s reserved for the ACC champion unless it’s selected for the national champion. Last year Florida State beat Northern Illinois in the game.

Chick-fil-A Bowl 
Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2013 8 p.m. at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta (ESPN)

The ACC’s second-best team heads to the bowl formerly known as the Peach Bowl. It typically pits ACC teams against Southeastern Conference foes.

Russell Athletic Bowl
Saturday, Dec. 28, 2013 6:45 p.m. at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando (ESPN)

An old friend of the Orange. SU played in this one in 2004 when it was called the Champs Sports Bowl. Syracuse could meet an old Big East foe in this one.

Hyundai Sun Bowl
Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2013 2 p.m. at Sun Bowl Stadium in El Paso, Texas (CBS)

An unfamiliar one for the Orange. A strong season for SU could send it to El Paso. It pits ACC schools against Pac-12 ones.

Belk Bowl
Saturday, Dec. 28, 2013 at 3:20 p.m. at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C. (ESPN)

The Belk Bowl was thought to be a potential destination for Syracuse last season. It’ll have a chance to head there this year. This could match the Orange up with an old Big East foe, too.

Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl
Monday, Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:15 p.m. at LP Field in Nashville, Tenn. (ESPN)

SU defeated Kentucky in this game in 1999. It’ll have a chance to head back there with the bowl’s affiliation with the ACC. It’s a potential destination for Syracuse this year. This is another ACC-SEC game.

AdvoCare V100 Bowl
Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:30 p.m. at Independence Stadium in Shreeveport, Miss. (ESPN)

Another potential destination for the Orange in its first year in the ACC. Yet another ACC-SEC game.

Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman 
Friday, Dec. 27, 2013 at 2:30 p.m. at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. (ESPN)

The Military Bowl usually holds a spot for a service academy, but this year it will match up an ACC team with one from the Big 12.

Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl (conditional)
Friday, Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:30 p.m. at AT&T Park in San Francisco (ESPN)

The ACC sends a team here if a Pac-12 school or BYU are not able to fulfill its commitment to the game.