iSchool

Website hosts Michigan ad after dean loses bet

Those still mourning the Orange’s Final Four loss to Michigan found an unpleasant surprise on the School of Information Studies’ website Monday.

The iSchool’s homepage featured an advertisement for the University of Michigan’s School of Information on the page’s rotating header.

“Michigan has a great iSchool,” the advertisement read, “and may we point out, a great basketball team.”

The advertisement was the result of a bet between the deans of the two colleges, said Kelly Lux, online community manager and social media strategist at the iSchool. The bet dictated that whichever school lost the Final Four game on Saturday would advertise for the other school for one day, she said.

Dean Jeff Mackie-Mason of the Michigan iSchool initiated the bet by sending an email to Syracuse University iSchool Dean Elizabeth Liddy early last week, said J.D. Ross, director of communications at the iSchool. He added that Liddy “enthusiastically agreed.”

“Liz and Jeff know each other pretty well,” Ross said, noting the two have served on committees and attended conferences together through the iSchools Organization, a consortium of about 40 information schools dedicated to advancing the field.

Representatives from Michigan designed the advertisement for SU’s website and Ross said he sent an advertisement  to Michigan before the game.

Ross said Michigan’s appearance on the iSchool’s site has been well received by both parties, attracting several comments through social media.

“We just thought it was a fun thing to do and a good way to celebrate the rivalry between the two schools,” he said. “Of course, we’re not happy that SU didn’t win, but we’re more than happy to fulfill our debt to a friendly rival.”