Watchful eye: Through online textbook technology, company allows professors to see what their students read

Micah Benson | Art Director

Even though textbooks can be costly, they are often barely opened. But with new online textbook technology, professors might know just how often students look at their books.

CourseSmart, owned by McGraw Hill, is pioneering the effort to make course materials available online by making thousands of textbooks available for laptops, smartphones and mobile devices. Included in this movement are features that allow professors and administrators to peer into their students’ progress.

The company is now testing in-depth tracking for their digital textbook purchases, according to an April 8 New York Times article. This means professors will have the ability to see which chapters and pages are not being read. By reporting this information back to the instructors, CourseSmart will allow professors to tailor how they teach, and assist in deciding what work to assign.

Jose Cerrilla, a sophomore computer science major, said he is uneasy about the thought of his professors potentially overseeing his reading assignments.

“I think it is important for me not to just read the textbook, but also read a lot more to gain more knowledge,” he said. “This also complicates the issue of sharing the textbook because it is more of a challenge for the professor to see how you are doing.”

One of the goals of the new service is to create better study materials and help the publishers know what is and what is not working for students, according to an April 9 Atlantic Wire article. The program also allows professors to see if important passages are being highlighted and determine whether students are spending a long time on each page or skimming after a long time studying.

Nick Cain, a sophomore entrepreneurship and emerging enterprises major, said he thought this feature was unwarranted.

“They already quiz you on the information, so it doesn’t matter if they see that you didn’t read the textbook. As long as you do well on the quiz is all that matters,” he said.

In addition, one of the innovations CourseSmart has pioneered is the concept of an engagement index, which will provide information about the dates on which students log in to their digital textbook, according to The New York Times. This will allow professors to see if students wait until just before a test to begin the reading.

The rationale for this surplus data is to allow the professor to seek out the struggling student and make sure they are educated on good studying habits, according to The New York Times.

But some students, like sophomore information management and technology major Muhammed Jallow, view this new oversight publishers will grant through CourseSmart as an unwelcome intrusion of privacy.

Said Jallow: “That should be private because it is an invasion. People take their own time doing what they do with their books. There shouldn’t be someone watching over you.”