SU announces 2013-14 Remembrance Scholars

A plaque in the Student Association offices. Stories of a Delta Tau Delta fraternity brother who died too soon. A video of a 1988 newscast on YouTube. A plane ride home from London.

All are reminders of the Pan Am Flight 103 bombing that led 35 current Syracuse University students to apply to be Remembrance Scholars. The university announced the names of the students chosen to be 2013-14 Remembrance Scholars on Monday.

The scholars were selected to pay tribute to the 35 SU students killed in the Dec. 21, 1988, terrorist bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland. This year marks the 25th anniversary of the attack.

The students are chosen as juniors and receive a $5,000 scholarship for their senior years at SU. The group of scholars is also responsible for helping to plan Remembrance Week, a yearly event during the fall semester that honors the victims of the Pan Am Flight 103 bombing.

Leo Wong, a junior advertising major and 2013-14 Remembrance Scholar, said learning about the victims helps put things in perspective, and shows the insignificance of the many daily problems students face.

“It’s really telling you to live your life to the fullest and look forward,” Wong said.

This message also hit home for Micki Fahner, who will be a Remembrance Scholar next year. She spent the fall semester studying abroad in London, just like many SU students who died in the bombing, and remembers reflecting on this connection while on the plane home.

“I had gotten so much out of that experience and was so excited to be coming home,” said Fahner, a junior broadcast and digital journalism and English and textual studies major. “I know those students must have felt the same way.”

Besides remembering the victims, another important aspect of the Remembrance Scholar program is educating the university community about acts of terrorism so they won’t be repeated, Wong said. This has become especially important in light of the recent events in Boston, he said.

SA President Allie Curtis, another 2013-14 Remembrance Scholar, said she agreed with Wong about the importance of education.

“Not only are we looking and back and reflecting,” said Curtis, a junior public relations and political science major, “we are fighting against terrorism and violence.”

One example of this, Curtis said, is the 5K race the Remembrance Scholars are organizing this weekend to honor the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings. Curtis said she hopes to continue these types of events next year, and is looking forward to working with the other scholars to plan Remembrance Week.

Billy Fletcher, a junior public policy major, said it is important to raise awareness about Remembrance Week on campus. As a Remembrance Scholar, Fletcher said he is most looking forward to educating the campus community about the bombing and getting more people involved in the events.

“I want to remember these people and also educate the public and other students,” he said. “It’s the only way to prevent these kinds of acts.”

The 2013-14 Remembrance Schoalars are:

Janessa Bonti – David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics

Victoria Brewster – School of Architecture

Colin Brown – S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications

Jona Cano – College of Arts and Sciences

Erin Carhart – College of Arts and Sciences

William Ceskavich – College of Arts and Sciences /School of Information Studies

Darcy Cherlin – College of Arts and Sciences

Henry Chu – Martin J. Whitman School of Management

Kyle Coleman – School of Information Studies/Martin J. Whitman School of Management/ College of Arts and Sciences

Alexandra Curtis – College of Arts and Sciences /S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications

Ariella Davis – David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics/ College of Arts and Sciences

Marwa Eltagouri – S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications/ College of Arts and Sciences

Micki Fahner – S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications/ College of Arts and Sciences

William Fletcher – College of Arts and Sciences

Clifford Jacobs – David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics/ College of Arts and Sciences

Alison Joy – S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications/ College of Arts and Sciences

Amanda Kullman – L.C. Smith College of Engineering

Jessica Lam – School of Education

Megan LeBlanc – College of Arts and Sciences

Garrett Lee – L.C. Smith College of Engineering/ College of Arts and Sciences

Molly Linhorst – College of Arts and Sciences /Martin J. Whitman School of Management

Sonia Lopez – College of Arts and Sciences

Sieglinder Mghenyi – David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics

Leann Miles – College of Arts and Sciences

Ellen Moore – College of Arts and Sciences /Martin J. Whitman School of Management

Emily Pompelia – S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications/ College of Arts and Sciences

Allison Roberts – College of Arts and Sciences

Francesca Santoro – College of Visual and Performing Arts

Bradley Slavin – S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications/School of Information Studies

Danielle Steinberg – School of Education

Carlie Thompson – College of Arts and Sciences

Korey Tillman – L.C. Smith College of Engineering

Leo Wong – S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications

Zhi Yang – School of Information Studies/Martin J. Whitman School of Management

Jamie Yavorsky – College of Visual and Performing Arts/School of Education