Hunt, West lead Syracuse’s impressive offensive performance in Spring Game

Syracuse’s second team didn’t stand a chance.

Carried by Terrel Hunt, Jarrod West and George Morris II, the Orange team dominated the Blue team en route to a 27-10 win at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse’s Spring Game on Saturday. Hunt completed 19-of-29 passes for 209 yards and two touchdowns, finding West early and often and watching as Morris sliced up the second team.

“I felt really good, because as a unit we did very well,” Hunt said. “We were able to move the ball and we didn’t turn the ball over, so it felt really good.”

Saturday proved that – at this point in time, pre-Drew Allen – the starting quarterback job is Hunt’s to lose. John Kinder and Charley Loeb split snaps for the Blue team, while Hunt took every snap for the Orange team.

Midway through the first quarter, Hunt threw his first highlight-reel pass of the day, connecting with the 6-foot-2 wide receiver West. West blew by cornerback Joe Nassib on the left sideline, caught Hunt’s high-arching pass and took it to the end zone for a 49-yard touchdown reception.

The Orange team set the tone early.

Last year, quarterback Ryan Nassib threw the ball to his favorite targets Alec Lemon and Marcus Sales with regularity. Lemon and Sales caught more than half of Nassib’s touchdown passes, leading SU to an 8-5 season.

This year, with Nassib, Lemon and Sales gone, Syracuse will need new offensive weapons to fill the void. Saturday showed that Hunt and West may be key components of the answer.

West caught six passes for 82 yards and two touchdowns, the second of which gave the Orange team a 24-7 advantage late in the third quarter. West blazed from right to left, burning the Blue defense for a 14-yard strike.

“(Jarrod’s) a great player and he can jump out the roof,” Hunt said. “Being able to just put the ball up and have him jump and go get it is wonderful.”

West averaged 13.7 yards per catch last season, which put him right behind Lemon and Sales. He was the only Syracuse receiver to play in all 13 games and emerged as a reliable target, compiling 94- and 98-yard games against Southern California and South Florida, respectively.

Now he’ll likely serve as Hunt’s No. 1 option, a role he’s eager to embrace.

“I’m trying to step up and bring everybody with me,” West said. “It’s tough. We have a talented group, but no one really has experience and no one has played a lot of plays, so everyone’s starting from a fresh start.”

West credited Hunt for placing the ball exactly where he needed it on Saturday. He said the offense clicked so much that the Orange veered away from the run game in order to give Hunt more reps.

“We went away from the run because we were getting like six or seven yards a pop,” West said. “We were trying to let T-Hunt get some more time airing the ball out, and I think he did well.”

But when the Orange team did run the ball, Morris found openings all afternoon and torched the second team. He didn’t see any game action last season, but will likely see an expanded role starting in August.

Syracuse’s run game is arguably its most experienced and deepest unit heading into the season. Jerome Smith and Prince-Tyson Gulley will get the bulk of the carries, but with Smith already a clear-cut starter and Gulley sidelined with an injury, Morris had a chance to prove himself on Saturday.

He responded, leading the team with 68 rushing yards on eight carries. Morris showcased his quick feet and ability to break tackles, leaving defenders in the dust.

He finished the first quarter with four rushes for 57 yards, breaking free for a 39-yard touchdown run.

“It was a great effort by the offensive linemen,” Morris said. “They got me where I needed to be and I just found a hole and I ran.”

In total, the first team finished with 18 first downs in an accelerated game with a running clock in the second half. West said the Syracuse offense has something to prove with the departures of Nassib, Lemon and Sales.

Saturday was a start.

“It was fun. Just trying to go out here and make plays,” West said. “Just want to show everybody that we’re out here with a high-powered offense, just like last year.”